PDA

View Full Version : Getting off Prednisone

anniemac
17th November 2010, 11:48 AM
Ella just started lyrica and is doing great so I was wondering about her prednisone. I have never really liked the thought of her being on prednisone long term, so if lyrica is continuing to help, what are thoughts of eventually eliminating prednisone.

I know its early and with SM there are good and bad days, but either way, I don't want her on prednisone so frequently. I have heard of people going every other day etc.

Any advice?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Karlin
17th November 2010, 12:18 PM
I think this is only something you can discuss with your neurologist. Prednisone is a literal lifesaver for many dogs with extreme pain. It takes a long time on prednisone for there to be problems and many are manageable. For an ill dog potentially facing a more limited lifespan, as sadly many of our SM cavaliers are, I would not be concerned with anything except keeping the dog pain-free. For this, Lyrica may not be enough on its own. I think any decision to wind down preds to see if she can manage on Lyrica alone needs to be done only working closely with a neurologist. :thmbsup: For me, side effects would not be an immediate or even short term concern but worth discussing in detail with your neurologist. :)