• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Getting off Prednisone

anniemac

Ella just started lyrica and is doing great so I was wondering about her prednisone. I have never really liked the thought of her being on prednisone long term, so if lyrica is continuing to help, what are thoughts of eventually eliminating prednisone.

I know its early and with SM there are good and bad days, but either way, I don't want her on prednisone so frequently. I have heard of people going every other day etc.

Any advice?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think this is only something you can discuss with your neurologist. Prednisone is a literal lifesaver for many dogs with extreme pain. It takes a long time on prednisone for there to be problems and many are manageable. For an ill dog potentially facing a more limited lifespan, as sadly many of our SM cavaliers are, I would not be concerned with anything except keeping the dog pain-free. For this, Lyrica may not be enough on its own. I think any decision to wind down preds to see if she can manage on Lyrica alone needs to be done only working closely with a neurologist. (y) For me, side effects would not be an immediate or even short term concern but worth discussing in detail with your neurologist. :)

Back