• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Overly Worried?

Zumie05

I have read through the forums about SM and even before I got my puppy. I know that ALL dogs scratch, but it is really tough not to worry that every time my pup scratches at her neck about whether or not it is just a scratch, or an SM symptom. It drives me crazy!

A few other things that have worried me is that twice she has cried out when nothing was happening, but I sort of have an idea that she might have for another reason. The first time we were laying in bed and she was chewing an itch on her rear end, she stopped, then yelped. I thought that maybe a flea bit her or something, and we were about a week over due on flea meds. The second time we were outside, and it just snowed here and it was her first snow. She was running around, then yelped and looked a little scared, seemed like she was walking funny, and I thought "haha her feet must be getting really cold". When we came inside she was totally fine.

The last thing that freaks me out is fly snapping....but it looks like she is eating something, then she sort of rears her head up snapping. I usually think it gets stuck on the roof of her mouth.

So you see, I have seen symptoms but they may not actually be, and the worry is driving me sick. She's only about 16 weeks anyways, so it all just might be in my head.

ah this is me all over! I worry about my dogs as much as my kids! Every scratch and yelp makes me think of SM. One of my cavs is just 6mts and I've seen all of the symptoms you've mentioned above,I try not to worry but it's always at the back of my mind! we will just have to chill out I think!!

The last thing that freaks me out is fly snapping....but it looks like she is eating something, then she sort of rears her head up snapping. I usually think it gets stuck on the roof of her mouth.

I think the question I would be asking myself is if she has recently eaten something? If the answer is no I would be a tiny bit concerned....

Also she could have a lose puppy tooth bothering her and it may pass.

My last cav Sam used to do the fly catching thing all the time. And he used to do the biting his bum thing too. I was told that the bum biting is the anal glands when they need to be emptied. If you are feeding them raw bones often they should do them themselves by bum scooting:) The fly catching thing I heard was a form of epilepsy. I don't really think it is though. My last dog Sam died of MVD and he was 12. He had a great 12 years with us without any major problems. I would not worry about the things you have mentioned even though it is annoying to see. I used to think it was just him chasing the flies away from his bone.:)
Deb

The better news is that her fly snapping is almost always something in her mouth (thank goodness...almost..little bugger!) and her excessive collar scratching is just about ending, seems she is more used to wearing a collar now. Phew!

However, I have noticed now she does this kick or twitch with her back leg when she is settling down...which worries me of course. And she does rub her face, but only in the morning. I find goop in her eyes which I rub out and sometimes flush out with doggie eye rinse at times...but still.

The worst thing about owning this breed is the terrible worrying! UGH

I was worried about everything Guinness did being a sign of SM.

The best advice I can give is to get out with other dogs. GO TO THE DOG PARK (it's fun, I promise)!! If your dog seems normal compared to every other dog there he's probably fine, if he seems abnormal then you can start looking at what's wrong.

The best advice I can give is to get out with other dogs. GO TO THE DOG PARK (it's fun, I promise)!! If your dog seems normal compared to every other dog there he's probably fine, if he seems abnormal then you can start looking at what's wrong.

Good advice. It helps a lot to see what other dogs the same age are doing. Odd behaviour starts to stand out.

Fly catching is not necessarily anything to do with SM but is considered a neurological issue. It is not done when dogs are eating but is snapping at empty air as if chasing flies.

Any pedigree dog comes with a list of breed-specific genetic concerns. And any living thing comes with a list of potential health issues, many of them costly and potentially heart-breaking. I have seen plenty of serious problems in mixes and mutts too. It is part of the responsibility and burden of deciding to own a dog or other pet (like the worry about children that comes with parenting). You have to do the best in working with a breeder that breeds for health and MRIs, in the first place -- then stand by the companion that comes into your life, regardless of issues. Sadly this is a breed with two serious and common problems now and there's no way of avoiding that issue for anyone who chooses to own a cavalier. That fuels the drive now amongst so many to make cavalier breeding a more responsible and health-based activity, and to push cavalier puppy buyers to only support health focused breeders who cardiologist test AND MRI and not fob off this responsibility, or the puppy buyer is no better than the crappy breeder and has no ground on which to criticise breeders -- puppy buyers and their choices are critical to this breed's future -- if it is even to have one (and a future of any kind is already at significant risk). Having just found a website in California in which the 'breeder' happily announces how her young cavalier -- who had puppies BEFORE SHE WAS EVEN ONE -- is such a 'good mother' -- I do despair of the breed ever getting a decent chance though. This person breeds for a pet market and has sold all the litters she has bred from this poor dog. How clueless can anyone be?

Any responsible owner needs to be aware of the breed-specific issues in the breed they own. (y) A frustration with SM is that it is not very well understood and symptoms are easily confused with other problems (in comparison with say MVD, which almost ALL of us will eventually, sooner or later, deal with in this breed as it is absolutely endemic). The fact that SM is so widespread now brings a major burden to pet owners and breeders, who always live with the worry that it may develop. That said many will develop it at a very manageable level or will never show symptoms. But spotting early onset SM which is generally the worst case scenario is a great burden indeed. But we must continue the push to minimise and eliminate this horrific condition. Not one single dog should have to suffer its debilitating pain.

The best thing any puppy buyer can do is ONLY purchase puppies from breeders who are MRI scanning, can show you the scan cert -- and we need to educate ourselves well enough to understand what we are seeing. All evidence is that matings between A dogs, or where at least one is an A and the other minimally affected, produce high numbers of A offspring. If a buyer doesn't have MRi information then they are buying blindly and with a far higher chance of eventually seeing SM.

I am a hypochondriac also! Every little thing he does worries me. I don't just worry about him, I also worry about my Great Pry too!

I would just relax, monitor what you are seeing and if you are really worried make an appointment to see the vet!

:hug:

Back