• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

question about spaying???

maddy

we have decided we are definitely getting Bellatrix spayed. our vet advised us getting her done before her first season as then it rules out the chances of her EVER getting breast cancer. only thing is, in the excitement of the first vets visit and having a cute puppy i forgot to ask what to look out for. when does the first season normally come? :neutral: if anyone has any thoughts???? please x

If you search on spaying you will find lots of threads on it - spaying before the first season does not totally rule out the chance of getting mammary tumours, but does greatly reduce the odds. However there is only an 8% difference between the odds if the bitch is spayed after the first season and before the 2nd.

IMHO I would advise having bitches spayed between the 1st and 2nd seasons, so that they are given time to mature properly.

Indeed it is very sensible to have bitches spayed as this also prevents pyometra - womb infection which can be very unpleasant and sometimes fatal :(

Obviously you must be able to keep your puppy away from entire dogs throughout her first season, as there is a chance that they can get pregnant even at this young age. She will be just as keen to get out and get to a dog as a dog to get at her.

1st season is usually between 6 and 9 months, but can be any age from about 5 months to over a year. Sometimes they go off their food a bit, usually you can see the vulva start to swell and then you will see some colour - sometimes it is quite dark and then it can turn to look like fresh blood. Many bitches are very good at keeping themselves clean and it can be hard to tell.

From about 4 1/2 months, I would get into the habit of turning her over for a belly rub every day and checking for the start of a season.

Our vet at Dogs Trust reccomends all dogs (male & female) are neutered at 6 months of age so most often females will not have had a season by then - some will come into season early, which you will notice the vulva becoming swollen & discharging a bloody discharge - sometime bitches will be very clean so you will see them being very attentive to that area.

It it true that the earlier they are spayed the less likley they will be to develop mamory tumours (breast cancer).

I had Lucy spayed after her season - but this was only because she was in season when I got her from Dogs Trust at aprox 5-6 months of age, so she was 6-7 months old when she was spayed.

Hope that helped!:p

Our vet at Dogs Trust reccomends all dogs (male & female) are neutered at 6 months of age ...

There have to be exceptions to such a rule, and if your Dogs Trust veterinarian does not recognize them, then I would not "Trust" him with your "Dogs". For instance, if an intact cavalier has immune system problems, such as a weakened system or an immune-mediated issue, then neutering likely would exacerbate the problems.

The reproductive system contributes a unique set of hormones to the immune system. When it is removed, other organs try to compensate, but when the immune system already is stressed, they are not able to do so adequately.

We have had a cavalier with immune system deficiencies, and our vet has never advised us to have him neutered. So, beware of vets who recommend such things as "all dogs" being neutered at a certain age, or even at all. In all likelihood, that vet has not learned enough to know that he doesn't know everything.

Added later: The obvious just occurred to me. The animal-rights whackos also advocate neutering all dogs at between 4 and 6 months. That's ALL DOGS, which, of course, would end breeding entirely. THAT is their goal.

Last edited:
Back