• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lola's Home :) - **warning graphic photo

AgilityLola

76736_467026537262_605812262_5830732_140404_n.jpg

We've just got back from Stone Lion, so Lola's home :) She was so happy to see us, but we had to try to stop her jumping up because it was causing her some pain, the wally!

She's just had her tea, and she's having problems eating so i had to hand feed her. Does anyone have any recommendations on how to feed post op? I've heard of raising her bowl, which is what we did but she still wasn't keen.

She's in a bit of pain and can't seen to settle. So i would love some pointers on helping her out, please.

Naomi

I would only give her wet food - soak kibble if you feed that, or if you feed raw, only give her mince, no bones to chew for now.

She is going to be a bit unsettled and confused, the journey and excitement will have put up her pain a bit - she should settle down. I presume she's come home with medication and instructions? If you're worried about anything at all, do 'phone Stone Lion, they are excellent at back up (y)

Try to keep her quiet - either in a crate or puppy pen unless you are supervising - NO jumping up, running etc. I would recommend putting her on a harness and lead to go out for toilet etc.

Raised food and water bowls are essential.

I know the scar looks horrific but it's amazing how quickly the fur grows back and you won't be able to see it all in a few months...

It's great that she's home - and I wish her a good recovery (y)

Oh, Naomi your little angel is home! I wouldn't make her eat if she isn't really ready for it. Like Nicki said, just coming home is trauma enough for the first day. I would be liberal with her pain medication - it is always easier to stay on top of pain than it is to play catch up. Put a little pillow or stuffed animal in her crate so that she can keep her head elevated if she wants to. She may feel better alone in her crate so that she can settle herself, or she may feel better right next to you. You'll have to discover that for yourself. Riley definitely felt better in her crate, but I also have a multi dog household and when she was next to me, she also had three other dogs coming up to explore her, so she was better off by herself most times.

Like Nicki said also, if you are not supervising her 100% of the time, put her in her crate. Riley was either in my arms or in her crate. It's so hard to stop them from jumping, but's it's so important that you do. I think it increases their intracranial pressure which would not be a good thing right after surgery.

At night, Riley slept in her crate right next to my bed so that I could hear if she was in pain or if she needed anything. She only cried out once the first night and then she slept through the rest of the nights. She had a fentanyl patch for pain for the first 3-4 days which worked like a charm. I wouldn't advise putting Lola in bed with you at night - too easy for her to fall out.

Definitely put her on a harness and leash when you take Lola outside. You don't want to take the risk that she will take off running once she starts to feel a little better.

I'm so glad she is home with you and I hope your first night goes well. PM me if you have any questions. Here's to a speedy recovery.

I do agree that Lola will eat when she is good and ready. However, if you are really worried try this little trick which a cat breeder told me a long time ago:

Simply place the usual food in a metal dish or bowl, sprinkle with grated cheese, or cover the food with sliced cheese, then melt the cheese under a warm grill. Fork the melted cheese so that it is all around the food, cool to just warm and serve.

The other method is to soak the meal in Oxo or Bisto gravy, then mix well and serve warm. :badgrin:

Sending gentle hugs and sloppy kisses for Lola. She will be fit and well before you know it :lotsaluv:

Serving in a dish with low sides or a plate, so she isn't reaching as much for food might help. Might make a lovely mess too.

I'm so glad she's home. That's got to be a huge relief to both of you. I think she looks beautiful -- scar or no scar. Her hair will grow back before you know it. Holly's surgery was just 8 weeks ago and she had several inches of incisions on her back and hip areas. There is now no visible sign of the scars and her hair is growing back nicely.

I agree that Lola should probably be kept as quiet as possible in a crate, but I'm sure you recieved those instructions post-op. I would also keep very vigilant on giving her pain medication around the clock. I came home with a couple different meds after Holly's surgery and just gave them to her as directed (twice a day). I did this for three weeks and think it helped her with pain, anxiety and keeping nice and quiet for healing.

As for the eating, I agree that she'll most likely eat when she's ready. She's been through so very much that her stomach might be a bit unsettled. I also know that one of Holly's pain meds caused a lack of appetite, so that may be a cause for Lola as well.

At any rate, a huge congratulations to you for having the surgery and these initial homecoming days behind you. I know it's extremely daunting when you think of taking care of Lola now -- I was completely overwhelmed with Holly's care post surgery. But ... it will bring the two of you even closer than before. And before you know it you'll look back at this time as a sort of distant memory. She'll get better and so will you!!!

Keep your chin up!! You both are doing great:D

Glad to hear that Lola is home with you and the surgery is now done. Sending lots of positive thoughts and prayers your way that Lola's recovery goes well. She is beautiful even with the scar. Gentle hugs to both of you from me.

I just wanted to send a :hug: you've been through so much. Clare is great with back up as someone else said so do contact her if you have any concerns. Hand feeding would be what I'd do and make sure she drinks. I've recently been handing feeding a cat for my neighbour and giving water with a syringe just to be sure he didn't get dehydrated.

So happy she is home. She looks adorable! I hope her recovery is smooth and quick. I would probably hand feed until she gets a bit stronger. I suppose that may start a bad habit but getting the nutrients is a priority at this point. Good luck, and again it is great to hear she is home. :jmp2:

It's great to see her back home where she belongs.
I would agree with Flo's suggestions, the aroma of hot melting fat will tempt her.As long as she's hydrated and drinking she'll eat when she's good and ready.None of us really would wish to eat if we were in discomfort.
Sins

Lola slept in my room last night so that i could check on her. I've also ordered a soft crate, which i needed any way, so that she can relax without the other dogs wanting to lie next to her. I ended up hand feeding her this morning, but she did seem more inclined to eat, so that's an improvement :) . Clare said to ween her down to 2 gabapentin, but she was so uncomfortable last night i ended up giving her three. Also we have a dog flap, instead of opening the door. But i have reminded my dad to open the door for her every 2 hours as i don't think she'll want to use the flap. I was thinking of getting a water fountain as well, as our water bowls aren't raised, has anyone had any experience with these?

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgu...ge=2&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:15,s:17&tx=88&ty=82

Glad to hear she is making efforts to eat. I somehow managed to miss this thread last week, so, belatedly, best wishes to Lola for a speedy and successful recovery :flwr:

Good luck, I wish Lola a speedy recovery, wanting to eat is a definitely positive sign.
My heart goes out to her right now and pray she will be comfortable very soon.

God Bless

I've also ordered a soft crate, which i needed any way, so that she can relax without the other dogs wanting to lie next to her.

Also we have a dog flap, instead of opening the door. But i have reminded my dad to open the door for her every 2 hours as i don't think she'll want to use the flap.

The soft crate is very sensible - how is she confined at present?

PLEASE don't expect her to use a dog flap for a long time yet - if at all :( I would be very reluctant to allow them to use a flap where they are pushing it with their head.

Someone needs to be taking her out on a harness and lead about every 3 or 4 hours or so - she can't be running in and out, especially with the other dogs, they could easily knock into her. Also you need to make sure she isn't running about :(

***DON'T forget that she has had major brain surgery and is very fragile.***

It's good that she wants to eat - give her the best quality food possible, she needs the nutrients to assist in her recovery.

Hi there

Wanted to pass on my wishes for Lola for a comfortable recovery.

I echo what Nikki said though- dog flap is a very bad idea and she cant be allowed to run about with the other dogs- as much as she wants to!

Dogs will tolerate far more pain than they let on and even if she feels able, you need to step in and keep her quiet as in the long run it will benifit her immensely.

All the best!

Hi there

Wanted to pass on my wishes for Lola for a comfortable recovery.

I echo what Nikki said though- dog flap is a very bad idea and she cant be allowed to run about with the other dogs- as much as she wants to!

Dogs will tolerate far more pain than they let on and even if she feels able, you need to step in and keep her quiet as in the long run it will benifit her immensely.

All the best!

No she is definitely NOT using the dog flap. She's in crate rest at the moment, she is free to leave the crate when she wants but prefers it inside her crate at the moment. As Clare told us to, she's having a 5 minute walk around our cul-de-sac once a day. But other than that she just rests in her crate or in her basket in the living room. The other dogs are good, as they leave her be and keep their distance. To be honest, she seemed more lively at Stone Lion than she is now, i don't think she'll be running at all for the next month or so, as she seems quite content sleeping all day. Which is fine by me as i can't watch her in the day, as i'm at college. So i don't have to worrying as much lol

Back