• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating everyones poo!

Dublin

Any ideas about stopping this?

Lucy is eating all poo!icon_devil Im picking it up as soon as its on the ground, but she's taken to standing behind the other dogs (especialy Cassie) & eating it right away!

Ive been giving them all pineapple chunks for 2 days now but so far its not working!

Pineapple chunks was the only thing I'd heard about too. Oh dear - does she kiss her mamma with that face :rolleyes:

I'd ask your vet next time you are in, to make sure there isn't a medical reason she might be eating poop, but more likely she just likes it.... ! Most remedies like pineapple do not work with a determined eater. It is pretty hard to train away from too - vigilance/management may be your only solution. :grnyuk:

I'd ask your vet next time you are in, to make sure there isn't a medical reason she might be eating poop, but more likely she just likes it.... ! Most remedies like pineapple do not work with a determined eater. It is pretty hard to train away from too - vigilance/management may be your only solution. :grnyuk:
Ever since she was a puppy my Easter was a determined poop eater. I tried everything to try to stop it, but gave up in the end and turned a blind eye. She was another who stood behind another dog to catch her prey. She lived to 15 and was the only dog who needed a face wash twice daily, after meals icon_devil

Shelby is my poop eater....drives me batty. But, I can give out a quick "ah ah" if she approaches it and she will leave it. But we definitely have to be quick to pick it up. She's now 7 years old so she obviously didn't outgrow it :p

Are Lucy's poos normal [no undigested food - try giving her some cooked rice, that's the easiest way to check!!]? Is she losing weight?

If not, then it probably is habit - and unfortunately she's thinking that poo is very high value as you are competing with her to get it first!!

Does she have a very favourite treat that you save for special occasions? Something like dried liver is high value, you could call her away with that and offer her the liver - or cooked chicken or similar, she's then rewarded for not eating the poo. Shut her back indoors so she doesn't see you collect it.

Courgette can also help - you have to feed these things to the dog who's poo is being eaten, NOT the one eating it - they make the poo taste bad.

You can also get coprophagia tablets - the official name [from the Greek κόπρος copros ("faeces") and φαγεῖν phagein ("to eat")] - some poeple have success with them.

Lucy was your rescue I think? Might she have been starved at some point? That can also have caused it - but often it is just that they copied their Mum's and never grew out of it.

Are Lucy's poos normal [no undigested food - try giving her some cooked rice, that's the easiest way to check!!]? Is she losing weight?

If not, then it probably is habit - and unfortunately she's thinking that poo is very high value as you are competing with her to get it first!!

Does she have a very favourite treat that you save for special occasions? Something like dried liver is high value, you could call her away with that and offer her the liver - or cooked chicken or similar, she's then rewarded for not eating the poo. Shut her back indoors so she doesn't see you collect it.

Courgette can also help - you have to feed these things to the dog who's poo is being eaten, NOT the one eating it - they make the poo taste bad.

You can also get coprophagia tablets - the official name [from the Greek κόπρος copros ("faeces") and φαγεῖν phagein ("to eat")] - some poeple have success with them.

Lucy was your rescue I think? Might she have been starved at some point? That can also have caused it - but often it is just that they copied their Mum's and never grew out of it.

All the poo's seem 'normal' to me (well the ones ive got to in time!!). She dosnt seem to be eating her own, it's mainly Cassie's & sometimes Sparky's which is a bit odd - I wonder if it might be behavioural as Lucy can be quite dominant with Cassie sometimes.

Lucy is my rescue, I dont think she was starved as she came from a family (but you never really know!) I do know she was fed on pedigree chum (wet) adult food from the time the family got her.

I have a tin of hot dog sausages so I'll try calling her & giving her those instead of the poo! When I get my car out of the drive I will get courgettes, I love them anyway! Do I give these raw or cooked?

Thanks!!

I changed all their food almost 2 weeks ago all onto Arden Grange (Cassie - senior, Sparky - light & Lucy - Mini Lamb & rice.) So I guess it could be that?? But it's pretty good quality........

Im a bit snowed in at the mo & cant get my car out of the drive!! So it might be a couple of days before I can get to the shop to get the corgette but I will certainly try it. I read on dogster that feeding raw helps some dogs so I might look into a premade raw that I see is now avalible in the republic - I was feeding raw before but had to travel to NI which became a bit wearing!

Just read your article now, thanks Nicki! Maybe Cassie cant digest her new food properly (as it seems to be Cass that Lucy follows round the garden mainly) - she's 13 so I guess thats a possibility? Im going to have a chat with our vet at work about it & see what she thinks.

Last edited:
Do your local pet stores sell any deterrents? You can feed your dogs these tablets that supposedly make their poo taste very bitter. I have heard good things about "8in1 Deter - Coprophagia Treatment"

Never heard of the pineapple trick!

This thread sounds familiar!!

Cassie is a poo eater but only Barneys!!!! (She does roll in some poo too but that's another story!!) She legs it to him when he stops to munch on it as fresh as poss!!! And to beat me to it I think !!:eek:

When she was little she ate her own sometimes....only evidence left on paper overnight but no actual poo left to pick up...

I'm firm with her when she does it a loud "leave it" usually does the trick now as long as I am fairly near lol I always reward with treats for her coming to me when I call too...

I did wonder if it's a girl thing?? Goodness knows why they do it lol!!

I changed all their food almost 2 weeks ago all onto Arden Grange.

Arden Grange is a really good food - has she only just started doing this? Maybe the poo tastes and smells nicer on this!! If it is novelty value she might well just got used it and stop anyway.

Hi Sonia

I heard cottage cheese helps ,but then again so may caviar and chips ,good luck and stay handy .:)

It could be that then Nicki! Im going to have a chat with our vet at work on Tuesday & see what she thinks.

Ive just found that the raw meat I used to buy in NI is now avalible in the republic - www.foodforpets.ie so im placing an order for next week - weather permitting I guess! I did find they did so much less poo on the raw food before & Lucy never ate any of that. So perhaps back to basics is better?

Brian - you're hilarious...... Caviar!! I wouldnt even know where to buy that!! :eek:

Paddy is my poo eater!!!
He usually eats Toby's, but seems to have phases of doing it!!!
I asked the vet about it years ago and was told it is like chocolate to some dogs!!!:grnyuk::grnyuk::grnyuk:

Well, she's still doing it but not quite as much as I am following her round the garden (god only knows what my neighbours think of me in a dressing gown & wellies in the snow!!).:badgrin:

Ive gone back to raw, mainly mince, offal & chicken wings till my delivery of premade raw arrives on friday & they are pooping a lot less so theres less for Lucy to want to eat for a start!

Ahhh dogs hey!!

Back