PDA

View Full Version : Hot weather and SM

Kathleen
1st December 2010, 07:02 PM
Has anyone noticed that SM symptoms are worse when the weather is hot and humid? Here in South Africa, we have had some hot days lately (about 32 degrees C) and Jade has been really uncomfortable with a pain session almost every morning and evening. Some days I can't even walk her. She was doing so well..... but I am sure her deterioration is due to the heat. Is there anything I can do besides keeping her indoors and as cool as possible?

Nicki
1st December 2010, 07:10 PM
Not really - don't walk her if it's too hot. Try to keep her cool.

You've just made most of the forum members really envious of your weather though! We are struggling in the UK with rather a lot of snow right now - but that also affects them badly too :(

Extremes of weather and changes in weather patterns can have a bad effect.

Whereabouts in S Africa are you?

My former vet is back in S Africa, in the Pretoria area - she is very experienced with SM.

Kathleen
1st December 2010, 07:24 PM
I am in Benoni, 45 minutes to an hour from Pretoria. Most vets here don't know SM very well as Cavaliers are fairly rare. I did go to a vet in the Johannesburg area who has treated this condition, but I would love to get the name of the vet you know. A second opinion is always a good thing.

AgilityLola
1st December 2010, 10:29 PM
Yes, i definitely think it worsens when the weather is hotter. Lola barely gets out of bed when it gets too hot, she just lies on the stone floor all day!

Blondiemonster
2nd December 2010, 02:52 AM
absoutely!! Either hot weather or humid weather will make SM worse, the two combined are even worse. It was rainy in NY today and my girl was very restless.

Bet
2nd December 2010, 10:23 AM
Has anyone noticed that SM symptoms are worse when the weather is hot and humid? Here in South Africa, we have had some hot days lately (about 32 degrees C) and Jade has been really uncomfortable with a pain session almost every morning and evening. Some days I can't even walk her. She was doing so well..... but I am sure her deterioration is due to the heat. Is there anything I can do besides keeping her indoors and as cool as possible?

HOT WEATHER AND SM.

When I read about Jade in South Africa suffering from SM, is SM in Cavaliers every-where in the World.

Are the Genes for this Horrible Disease spread World Wide?

Bet

Kate H
2nd December 2010, 01:36 PM
Virtually all the Cavaliers in SA are descended from UK imports, so I imagine SM is fairly widespread in what is, however, a small and scattered population. Unfortunately, facilities for MRI scanning are even fewer and further apart - distances are vast in SA.

It seems to be air pressure and humidity that affects SM dogs - Oliver is uncomfortable in wet weather, when pressure goes down and humidity rises.

Kate (who had her first two Cavaliers in SA), Oliver and Aled

patg
4th December 2010, 04:10 AM
Hi Kathleen,
My Riley is really afffected by hot and humid weather. Even with the air conditioning on he was uncomfortable especially at night. This past summer I bought Riley a "Cooling Bed" You fill it with water and somehow it maintians a cool temperature to the touch. Riley loved it and chose to sleep there almost every night rather than on my bed. I bought it online so maybe you can find one that will ship to you. It is called " The Cool Bed" I also bought a cover and bumpers for it. Hope Jade can find some comfort.