• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

What is syringohydromyelia

anniemac

I saw online someone saying their cavalier had syringohydromyelia. What is it and how is it different from syringomyelia? I Googled it and Wikipedia came up but I didn't look at rod's cavierhealth website. Can someone explain in simple terms. Thanks

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think syringohydromyelia would include hydrocephalus (dilated ventricles, and central canal), which is pretty common in sm dogs. The two aren't different, just one includes an extra symptom, and is more descriptive.

Given the name, I can't imagine it would be used to describe anything else, but I've been wrong before).

Geoff Skerritt, one of the neurologists who first researched SM has always called the condition syringohydromyelia.( I believe 'hydro' means water )
Syringomyelia has become the term that is more commonly used, but they both describe the same condition.

Back