PDA

View Full Version : Grumpy Old William

Margaret C
7th December 2010, 07:01 PM
I thought I was okay about losing William, he was an old boy, but every time I came onto the forum to write about his death I found it impossible without welling up.

Our old boy was put to sleep on Friday. His rubbing around the furniture and scratching had got worse so he went onto Gabapentin. That made him very unsteady and his back legs started letting him down. He still managed to climb the pet steps onto the sofa, but descending was a problem. He would bark for me to come and help him down.

Lyrica ( thank you Tania for sending it ) helped a little but eventually it became clear there was not going to be enough of an improvement.

William was 14 years old last month, a son of Monty, my Ch. Mareve Indiana.
He was my Mother's dog. He came to me when she became ill & died. A last link with her.

My husband gave him the nickname because William liked to guard his treat for hours before chewing it. During that time he would be under siege from half a dozen little Japanese Chin fluffies. His warning growls became part of every day life.

William was PTS at Cambridge. He has donated cell tissue samples for research. His ashes will be scattered on the Norfolk beach, joining those of all the other dogs I have lost over the years.
RIP William.

emsley
7th December 2010, 07:06 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your loss of William
My heart goes out to you

Nicki
7th December 2010, 07:21 PM
Dear Margaret we are so very sorry to hear about precious William :(

It's very hard to lose an older companion, they have been part of your life for so long and there is such an understanding between you.

I'm sure it's made worse in that he was a very strong link to your Mother too.

He had a wonderful long life and was lucky to have been looked after so well. :flwr:

Thank you for donating him for the research - a hard thing to do but a comfort in the weeks ahead and so very important for this very valuable research project. There is more information about the project in Margaret's blog.

Love my Cavaliers
7th December 2010, 07:52 PM
He doesn't have to be grumpy any more. Run like the wiind wind William! I'm so sorry Margaret.

sins
7th December 2010, 07:55 PM
I'm so sorry to hear of William's passing. 14 years is a wonderful age and both you and your mother must have cherished every one of them with him.It's hard to say goodbye to a great old character,but his gift to research will undoubtedly bring some comfort to you.
Sins

brid kenny
7th December 2010, 08:02 PM
So sorry for your loss. What a great age he was!!

Chamberlain
7th December 2010, 08:17 PM
I can only imagine how hard this must be for you! Hugs!

Rest in peace in William!

merello
7th December 2010, 08:19 PM
Margaret, so sorry to hear about William but how blessed to live to the ripe old age of 14. We all send :hug:

Carol, Paul ,Elise and Kaley

Desrae
7th December 2010, 08:26 PM
Oh Margaret, I'm so sorry. What a great age, 14. He was a gift to you and now he can give a gift to researching for SM. My heart goes out to you. Run free on Norfolk Beach, Grumpy William!

jasperpaw
7th December 2010, 08:34 PM
Oh Margaret, so sorry to read of William`s passing. Fourteen years is a good age, but must be so hard for you as he was part of your late mother`s life. Thinking of you and sending you big hugs.:hug:

Tania
7th December 2010, 09:27 PM
William might have been a little grumpy guarding his treats but what a sweet little boy he really was. I am so sorry Margaret, sending you lots of hugs :hug:

Brian M
7th December 2010, 09:38 PM
Hello Margaret

Your loss of Sweet William is our loss ,we all grieve with you at this time of losing one of our own .Our sincerest thoughts to you at this sad time.:(
brian

Wagtails
7th December 2010, 09:48 PM
Margaret, I don't know what to say to you on reading this sad news. Bless you for all you have done for William, for all the little tales shared on this forum and for all your great dignity and courage.

Loving thoughts from me and mine http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Flowerspoog.gif and sleep tight, little man http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/RIPpoog.gif

Jasperxxgabby
7th December 2010, 10:22 PM
:(
So sorry to read this sad news :flwr:
What a wonderful age William was :luv: Thinking of you and your family and sending you all my sincerest best wishes and thoughts :hug:

RIP William, run free precious one xxxx

anniemac
7th December 2010, 11:22 PM
I am so sorry Margaret. I have been and will continue to pray for you. Rip in rainbows bridge may he watch over you

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

tara
7th December 2010, 11:56 PM
What a lovely tribute to William. He sounds like a wonderful guy who was completely loved for a very long life. I'm so very sorry for your loss, Margaret. You will be in my thoughts.

Blondiemonster
8th December 2010, 01:53 AM
So sorry to hear about grumpy william. But 14 is indeed a beautiful age. May he rest in peace. Do you have a picture of him you would be willing to share? I would love seeing a picture of him.

lovecavaliers
8th December 2010, 03:25 AM
Margaret, I just wanted to add my condolences on the loss of your beloved William. May he rest in peace and live on in all the beautiful memories you have of him.

Jane P
8th December 2010, 07:29 AM
I'm so sorry:(. My heart goes out to you. :hug:

Spangly
8th December 2010, 09:57 AM
Dear Margaret, I am so sorry to hear your sad news. It is so hard coming to terms with these events, even more so when there are added links to your Mother. I am thinking of you and sending you love. Christine

Kate H
8th December 2010, 10:34 AM
I'm never sure which is worse, losing a young dog with all its potential unrealised, or losing an old dog who has been part of your life for ages and leaves such a big hole. Either way, it hurts and it never gets easier. So thinking of you specially, Margaret.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Charlifarley
8th December 2010, 10:37 AM
Margaret, I would like to add my condolences to you too. William reached a fantastic age, and I am sure you will miss his presence around the place. Thinking of you :flwr::flwr:

Karen and Ruby
8th December 2010, 10:44 AM
Margaret,

Im so sorry to hear about William. There's nothing I can say really but thinking of you and my prayers will be for you and William tonight x

Thinking of you at this hard time

meljoy
8th December 2010, 03:39 PM
Dear Margaret,
Im so very sorry to read about William. !4 years is a fantastic age but not nearly enough though eh?

Try and picture William at Rainbow Bridge being collected by your Mum:hug::hug:

Mel XX

Sandrac
8th December 2010, 04:11 PM
Margaret, it never gets any easier giving our loved ones their wings. Remember his memory will have a place in your heart always.:hug::hug:

sarahso
10th December 2010, 02:51 PM
so sorry to hear of your loss... thoughts are with you

ByFloSin
10th December 2010, 08:35 PM
So sorry that I missed seeing this before Margaret. I am so sorry that you have lost William, who will be grumpy no more, but free of pain and running free at Rainbow Bridge now.

It is so good that you have donated his tissue for research. It's such a hard thing to do but so important to do it for the benefit of those not yet borne.

matties mum
10th December 2010, 10:24 PM
I am so very sorry to hear about William big hugs to you
----Aileen

Sabby
11th December 2010, 08:53 AM
I am so sorry to hear about William. What a great age but it is never easy to let go. My heart goes out to you. Lots of :hug: from me and my three.
What a great place to run free. I think he will be happy at a beach in Norfolk.

James
11th December 2010, 06:05 PM
So sorry to hear about William, you my sincere condolences. I loved his name.

Kathleen
12th December 2010, 07:21 AM
Margaret, I've never met you or William, but through this forum, I feel I know you. Even though I live on the "other side of the world", I share in your grief and sense of loss. I pray that my cavs are lucky enough to have 14 years. May William rest in peace - he will always be remembered. Thinking of you...:hug:

Mindysmom
12th December 2010, 03:05 PM
I'm so sorry for your loss Margaret. There is never enough time with our dogs regardless of the age they reach.

The Rouge Princess
18th December 2010, 01:31 AM
I'm so sorry to hear of William's passing.My thoughts are with you and your family, canine also.

Margaret C
18th December 2010, 04:20 PM
So sorry to hear about grumpy william. But 14 is indeed a beautiful age. May he rest in peace. Do you have a picture of him you would be willing to share? I would love seeing a picture of him.

Sorry, I tried to post a picture of William here, but did not manage it. I think Flicr has changed their system?

Brian M
18th December 2010, 06:30 PM
Hello Margaret

Under the thread "Cavalier tri girl in Merseyside" I posted about Flickrs new way pls try that ,we would all so dearly love to see William .

Karlin
19th December 2010, 05:37 PM
Oh no, Margaret–I missed this while I was away and only am seeing it now. I am so sorry; I know how special Old William was and your descriptions of him captures a true character. :) It is so hard to watch them suffer from this terrible illness, but he certainly had a good long life as well–not that that makes it any easier to take the final decision, especially with a dog that has special memories and connections to your mother.

It must be an extra special comfort still at a very difficult time, to know that he will help other cavaliers and the breed as a whole through the donation to the cavalier tissue project.

:flwr:

Margaret C
19th December 2010, 05:55 PM
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5123/5270930923_6802dba16c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/39096140@N03/5270930923/)

Thank you to Tania & Brian for the advice about posting the photo.

emsley
19th December 2010, 07:02 PM
What a beautiful boy

Tania
19th December 2010, 08:42 PM
He is beautiful, sleep peacefully Sweet William.

lovecavaliers
19th December 2010, 08:48 PM
Oh Margaret, what a very handsome boy! Thank you for sharing his photo. Hope you are healing more each day.

Rj Mac
1st January 2011, 09:17 AM
We are so sory Margaret for your loss, we haven't been on-line much lately so have missed quite a lot, he was a gorgeous boy, and that really is a cracking picture:d*g:

pippa
3rd January 2011, 12:29 AM
I don't be online much these days and only seen your post now....so sorry Margaret:(