• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi there, New here

Zarafia

Hello everybody.
A few years back, my roommate and I raised a few pomerainians, out of our pets. Our pets were not quite show quality but they had pet quality in spades (small size, 5lbs, good coats and no defects) so we produced a few puppies that sold like hotcakes LOl. But because they were our pets we didn't allow them to breed often.
At the time we would sometimes board our sold puppies when their owners went out of town. Then one day a friend asked if we would look after their cavalier king charles for a couple weeks. I knew nothing of the breed and I'm super paranoid about exposing my beloved Maxwell to bigger and/or non-pom dogs. But my roommate was insistant that a cavalier would fit in just fine with our poms, so I finally said okay.
When I met Rocky, I knew that my friend had been right. He was just the most delightful dog!
From then on I kept in in the back of my head that a cavalier might be a great dog for me to have in the future.
My roommate moved out several years ago, taking her girls with her and Max and I have been on our own.
Then, a couple of months ago another friend of mine had me over to her place (even more out in the country than my farm is) and I met her ten plus dogs. One of them was a girl who immediately stole my heart, she was IMO a cavalier. She had been found as a stray several months earlier, and despite many "found" ads placed for her nobody could accurately describe her color or even sex LOL.
My friend saw how taken with her i was so she offered her to me and I took her home that very day.
Annie has been a pure pleasure to have in my family. Maxwell loves her (as do I!) and she seems to love being one of just two doggy kids as opposed to one of ten plus. Annie Needs personal time spent with her and thrives on it.
I love her dearly.
I have come here to see if I can learn more about her breed and just talk with folks who are as in love with this breed as I am.

Welcome to the board - lovely to have you with us.

As you will see we do not encourage people to breed from their pets - the Cavaliers have many health issues so please make sure you read the rules of the forum and in particular, this thread.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?11336-Thinking-of-breeding-Read-on...

It is great that you have adopted Annie, I'm sure she is enjoying the individual attention. I would strongly recommend you have at least one, ideally both of them neutered/spayed, as it is extremely difficult to separate an entire dog and bitch when the bitch is in season, and it is strongly recommend not to breed different breeds together - there are TOO MANY dogs in rescue, many are identical to designer crosses...

As you will see we do not encourage people to breed from their pets - the Cavaliers have many health issues so please make sure you read the rules of the forum and in particular, this thread.

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?11336-Thinking-of-breeding-Read-on...

It is great that you have adopted Annie, I'm sure she is enjoying the individual attention. I would strongly recommend you have at least one, ideally both of them neutered/spayed, as it is extremely difficult to separate an entire dog and bitch when the bitch is in season, and it is strongly recommend not to breed different breeds together - there are TOO MANY dogs in rescue, many are identical to designer crosses...

Thank you for the welcome, Nicky!
I have no intention of breeding Annie. I think that there is a possibility that Annie may already be spayed. Having been a breeding dog, my Maxwell shows very distinct signs of knowing when a bitch is starting to come into heat. He lets me know a good week in advance of when a bitch is actually ready to breed. If Max shows me any of these signs Annie will be going directly in to my vet. If it isn't safe to spay her while she is in heat, she will board at the vet's office until it is safe to have her spayed and we will get her taken care of right then.
My dog breeding days are over.
I'm actually seriously considering having Max neutered this coming year, for health reasons. You can't get testicular cancer if you don't have testicles LOL. And he is nine years old now.
I have to say that my Annie is everything that I have read that cavaliers are supposed to be, smart, affectionate and so loving. She is very co-dependant. She wants to be with me all the time (and I love it) and when I'm not home she is practically glued to Maxwell's side. He loves her right back and I am so glad that they have each other to keep one another company while I am not home.
Since I have no idea of what her past experiences are I assumed that she would be a rather "blank slate" in terms of training. The lady I got her from had many little dogs who all were less than housebroken and they were mostly outdoor dogs.
I do things differently. My dogs are indoor dogs that have their own small wire mesh fenced "backyard" that my back door opens out to. The "backyard" is about twenty feet wide and forty feet long with a four foot fence (with no gate to the outside world. It has some grass and a small tree in it (for Max to mark) and a large oak outside the "yard" that provides shade to half the yard all day. I keep the yard raked and I have a small "apple-picker" (for horse stall cleaning) that I use daily to remove feces. This has the double advantage of keeping the yard clean as well as letting me monitor their feces for regularity and normality. (On that subject, I often notice that Annie's feces have some hair in them. I keep her well groomed (she loves being brushed and I bathe her once a week with Calmcoat Oatmeal shampoo). But could this be a problem? Max never has hair in his feces.) I guess I'll probably post that question on another thread in the "Health" section here.
I feel so blessed to have Annie in my life. She just fits my family perfectly. I can't believe that there wasn't somebody out there searching for her. And not only did the lady I got her from post ads in several places for her (I checked, and found the ads) but I also did a lot of researching old "lost" ads from all over this area, going back six months.
I've always believed that everything happens for a reason and I believe that God has simply blessed me (and Max) with this wonderful girl.
I really want to learn as much as I can about cavalier king charles spaniels. And it looks like this forum is a great place to start.
I very much like the philosophy here and I hope to talk to people as enamored of this breed as I am.

Nicki, I have read through the link that you posted on your previous post here. While I agree with most of what is said there, I disagree with one particular bit, very strongly.
As I have said, I did breed my pet pomerainians and produced several litters. I was VERY selective in re-homing my puppies and I am still in contact with many of their parents.
What I take issue with is the statement made that. "In order to be a serious breeder you must show and compete".
I am a new member here and I don't wish to offend anyone here, but I do not believe that that is true, or even good.
My pomerainians, although they would not have made top bench, were healthy, excellent representatives of the breed and are excellent pets.
Take a look at what the showring has done to german shepherds.
I don't think that every pet dog has to be a show winner to be a good representative of his breed.
JMHO

Didn't mean to sound preachy

I should mention that I have a very dear friend who raises and shows English mastiffs, Linda Greeson. We have been friends forever and from her I know that showing is not all about pretty. Her dogs are top quality in every way. One of her sayings that I like best is that her dogs are bred to be Best in Show as well as Best on Couch LOL.
She has pointed me in the direction of an old aquaintence of mine (I knew her well when I showed cockatiels) Malinda Pope. Linda says that Malinda is into CKCS these days.
Hopefully she can give me some advice on my new daughter.
I would still very much appreciate any advice you guys see fit to give me on my new beloved. I am not a breeder and I will never show, but I'm in love with this breed.
Thank you.

Welcome to you, Max and Annie. I know you will make lots of friends here, we are all totally devoted to this breed and try to help each other, we also have some fun together.

As Nicki said earlier, this breed have a lot of health issues. It would be very worthwhile to have a good look at the health sections including some of the threads discussing problems. You will come accross some recent threads about neutering, it is highly recommended for a number of different health reasons. If you have any questions, there are lots of experienced people here who will help.

You might also like to visit www.cavaliermatters.org you will find some very basic information aimed at Pet Owners. icon_welcome

Welcome to you, Max and Annie. I know you will make lots of friends here, we are all totally devoted to this breed and try to help each other, we also have some fun together.

As Nicki said earlier, this breed have a lot of health issues. It would be very worthwhile to have a good look at the health sections including some of the threads discussing problems. You will come accross some recent threads about neutering, it is highly recommended for a number of different health reasons. If you have any questions, there are lots of experienced people here who will help.

You might also like to visit www.cavaliermatters.org you will find some very basic information aimed at Pet Owners. icon_welcome
When I first started asking some dog people online about CKCS in general I was overwhelmed by folks warning me about health problems. They mentioned all sorts of things.
Now, granted I have only had Annie for a few months, but we seemed to be very blessed on the health front so far. She does desperately need a dental LOL. But I am guessing that she's four or five (from the tartar build up on her teeth) but she acts like a puppy. While my Maxwell is beginning to show signs of mild arthritis (he won't jump off my bed anymore), Annie is spritely as a spring chicken LOL.
She has no problems with her face, eyes, nose and ears (I was told a story of a CKCS who was a rescue who had recurring infections there that caused a foul odor all the time).
Thank you for the welcome Tania.
I got a call back from Malinda this morning while we were at petco buying presents for my doggy kids and she is super excited to talk with me about her favorite subject LOL.

icon_welcome Sounds like Annie has stolen both your's and Max's heart :luv:

Oh, she sure has! As much as I absolutely LOVE dogs, I have resisted taking in another family member. That is until I met Annie. She is my doggie daughter!

Welcome, welcome. As you can see by my signature, I love this breed. I have one dog (Riley) who has SM, one (Oliver) who has had cervical disc surgery, and one (Oz) who has MVD but I just love them all. They were like potato chips for me - I couldn't have just one!!! How nice that Max has taken to Annie as much as you have. The more you know about her and the breed, the more you'll grow to love her as much as you've loved pomeranians. One look in those eyes, and what's not to love?

Welcome, welcome. As you can see by my signature, I love this breed. I have one dog (Riley) who has SM, one (Oliver) who has had cervical disc surgery, and one (Oz) who has MVD but I just love them all. They were like potato chips for me - I couldn't have just one!!! How nice that Max has taken to Annie as much as you have. The more you know about her and the breed, the more you'll grow to love her as much as you've loved pomeranians. One look in those eyes, and what's not to love?

You're so right, I could fall forever into those eyes!
I just got off the phone with Malinda (an old friend from our cockatiel showing days). Turns out that she's president of the Mid Florida Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Club! I'll be chatting with her later about my million questions LOL.

Back