• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New to the CKCS

Zarafia

My newly adopted Annie is a mature dog. We have a vets appointment next Monday that will hopefully give me a better idea of her age (and whether or not she still needs to be spayed LOL!).
I can see that she has a lot of tartar build up on her teeth, and from this I'm taking a wild guess that she's four or five years plus. She needs a dental, that's for sure.
My son (a male pom of nine years) eats Eukanuba toy kibble with a tiny amount of Beneful top dressing. And I've been giving Annie the same with just a half teaspoon of the Beneful (cause it's yummy LOL).
Her appetite is great. She was a little on the lean side when she came to me (the result of competeing with ten plus other dogs on a cheaper food).
I feed my guys twice a day (I couldn't imagine myself being restricted to one meal a day and I'm way bigger than they are LOL).
I have always fed Maxwell Eukanuba because I'm a firm believer in smaller quantity of higher quality.
But I also know that there are a number of new companies that are producing very good dog food, and that there might be a better food out there than Eukanuba.
Price is not a big deal. These are my kids. Plus they need very little to stay at a healthy, vibrant weight.
Is there anything that I should know about the specific needs of CKCSs?
I want to give her the very best.
She is such a joy to me and I want to do everything that I can to keep her as happy and healthy as possible.

Boy you could go with all sorts of options! Food is a favourite topic here as you'll see from many previous threads.

The main issue is overfeeding, I think. It's good to start from the point of her being in good shape/on the slim side.

You can see some previous thread debating kibbles and all sorts of other options too from raw diets to homecooked. Lots of choice!

Thank you, Karlin!
I will definitely check out those threads you mentioned.
I'm interested in seeing what folks here think of kibble. I've always fed a kibble because we always used to hear that it was better for maintaining healthy teeth. I'm curious to see if this theory is still thought to be true.
I also give my kids Greenies. They absolutely LOVE them and I had heard that they were supposed to be good for dental health.

Back