• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

How do you know if your cav is cold?

susandavis1

I know that my sound like a silly question but I'm finding it difficult to figure out if Darcy is feeling the cold in this weather or not. She's not shivering or anything but I do worry that she may be feeling cold as it has reached -12 degrees C some nights recently and even during the day it barely gets to 0 degrees. Obviously she is inside with the heating on and I have put some more blankets on her bed which is beside the radiator but every morning I find her sleeping on top of the blankets instead of under them :rolleyes:. She doesn't really like doggie clothes much but I was thinking of getting her a warm jumper. Anyone have any recommendations for warm clothes? What does everyone else do in this weather? We're not used to such cold temps here in Ireland!
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
That is a good question. I've the same problem with my doggies. They have their beds with a couple blankies in a corner of the bedroom, in a draft free place, which away from the radiator, since all the radiators in our house are under windows (these new builds, really stupid idea they put radiators underneath windows, but that's how they built them, but anyway, I digress). I have the heat on and off throughout the day, I put the space heater on in the bedroom for a while at night, right next to their beds. BUT, lately Belle has been pacing around the bed begging to get in, I don't sleep very well with the dogs in the bed, so they only get snuggles sometimes, but seems like they don't want to leave lately, so I don't let them up (so cruel of me). What to do... I am wondering too. I don't want them to be uncomfortable.

Its hard to know if they are cold or not. My lot sleep in crates at nighttime, and in the winter I cover the top of them with a rug to keep the heat in (I hope). I feel that if I'm cold at night, then the dogs will be too. They aren't used to sleeping under covers, but have plenty of fleecy blankets to snuggle into. Also, when we go out for a walk in this weather, I have coats for them, which makes me feel better, if not the dogs . :p

Unless the house gets really cold at night they should be fine in their own coats and may be too warm in a sweater (unless there's some health or age reason to keep a dog extra warm). If she has blankets then she can snuggle into them as needed. :)

For extra warmth you can place dog beds inside a dog crate and cover the crate with a blanket -- then it operates to contain heat like a doghouse. :D At night mine all sleep like this. Of course a second dog keeps them warm too! :lol:

Desrae, it is actually most effective in heating a room for radiators to be beneath windows as that is where most of the cold is. :) Most homes would have radiators placed beneath windows when the option is there (and always in properly-built new build houses). Otherwise the side of the room by the windows would be far colder and less comfortable than the rest of the room. (y)

As our Shih Tzu got quite old, he shivered from the cold (we keep our house heated to 68°F in winter). I bought some little electric heating pads from a pet store and placed them under his bed. They only used 6 watts of electricity and kept him quite cozy. I placed something between the heater and the wood floors, so the dry heat wouldn't damage the flooring. Ours lasted for years, until Alex died of old age.

I don't know if that type thing is sold over in Ireland & UK. Here's a link on our Amazon.com to illustrate, as this is the exact brand and style we used:
http://www.amazon.com/3100-Pet-Bed-Warmer-Medium/dp/B0009YWLCM

Ah, I understand now Karlin...icon_blshing sometimes it just feels like all our heat is going right out the window, but eh.

Thanks for that Waldor, I was thinking about using a hot water bottle tucked under their cushions. I'm afraid if it's in the bed, Bob (who's a very active chewer) would bite into it.:shock:

Hi
I know when Daisy is warm thats when she emerges from under the bed clothes;)

Last edited:
My small new girl actually burrows under my covers at night now and curls up against me. The others sleep on top of my bed but I put small blankets on top so they can snuggle in if they'd like. My cat sleeps with the dogs also and so they share body heat.

I've always been afraid of using anything electric, but I've had very good experience with the product below:

http://www.amazon.com/Pet-Supply-Imports-SnuggleSafe-Heating/dp/B00008AJH9

These discs really do stay warm for 10-12 hours. You can also purchase soft cotton covers for them. I used them for a neighborhood outdoor cat that would sleep on my covered porch - if you tuck one in a pet bed under the cushion, they keep a pet quite warm. On really cold nights, I stick one at the bottom of my bed under the covers to keep my feet warm. It is still warm the next morning - much better than a hot water bottle.

Pat

Our house isn't cold so they don't wear anything in the house - they have a nice soft crate pad. When we go walking they wear a coat but if they are out in the yard I will let them out without - my reasoning is that they can choose to come in when they want but if I take them for a walk they are outside until we are back.

I use one too Pat, it's great to stand up against my back when lying on my side - normal hot water bottles fall over!! and as you say, it keeps warm all night :D

My house gets cold over night, and the Cavaliers sleep in a pen in the sitting room, they have blankets underneath them and one of these tucked under the blanket, with its fleece cover on.

Petnap Flexiguard 33 Metal chew proof electric Cat Dog heat pad mat

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Petnap-Flex...=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293055720&sr=8-2-catcorr

they have space to come off it if they get warm - Lauren is a heat seeking missile and LOVES the heat pad. I put it on the sofa for them during the day at present as they are cold when they come in from the garden :(

It only costs pennies to run and is chew proof (y)

I'm with you there Desrae. Radiators placed under windows were more pre-double glazing era. Best place for a radiator is the wall the door opens onto. You wouldn't put furniture there otherwise you couldn't walk into the room so it's an ideal free wall for a rad. My Dad who was an architect told me this...mind you, he put rads below all the bedroom windows here :rolleyes:

Should I be putting a coat on Ella for short walk? Right now its cold but it stays pretty much above freezing except early am and pm.

Ella sleeps with me so indoors is fine, now I'm worried about not having a coat on outside

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back