PDA

View Full Version : Teeth Care

anniemac
22nd December 2010, 02:38 PM
I am still upset about Flash's parents pictures and their teeth. Shannon has done a great job but it is so sad to think that they chewed on the cage. :cry*ing:

Now I am thinking of teeth and care. I know that it is important and since the only good thing about Ella's insurance (reason I kept it) is that I have a benefit for teeth cleaning each year. Since they do not pay for anything else, I might as well take as much advantage as I can.

My question is that she had problems the last time she had anesthesia which caused an infection. I might have asked this before but are there risks to being under anesthesia too much?

I have a tooth brush to brush her teeth myself but any recommendations on professional teeth cleaning? How often should it be done and at what age is a good time to start. Ella is 4 so I probably should have done this before now.

I know I ask so many questions so thank you for those who respond and help.

:thnx:

Brian M
22nd December 2010, 05:51 PM
Hi Annie

I cant comment on visits to my vets for any teeth cleaning but since my first Cavalier came to stay here my Poppy I started a regime for cleaning there teeth that I have continued with every day .I probably do go over the top in what I do buts thats me ,also I always have at the back of my mind the link with bad teeth and Heart problems and of course I don't want any of them having any unnecessary anesthetic ,so my nightly routine starts with

1) All have their own brushes
2) Brush teeth with Vibrac enzymatic (fish or chicken flavour )
3) Brush again with Logic gel
4) Brush again with Petzlife salmon flavour
5) Two squirts of Petzlife oral care spray
6) One Logic dental chew each
and twice a week one pillule of Fragaria and one of Rhus Tox and a twice
weekly wrestle and thorough inspection of their teeth which all look fine.
All above times four of course and time taken around 30 minutes nightly ,
and I brush after they have all had their supplements and vitamins ,but thats
another story.:o
Its time to clean them now before I takr Luke out .

Zumie05
22nd December 2010, 06:28 PM
Non anesthetic teeth cleaning is becoming more and more popular! I've seen some advertising for that around where I live.

If you can get them to the point where they will sit still and let you brush their teeth and scrape their teeth you can find a place that does doggie teeth just like they do people teeth, while we are awake!