• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teeth Care

anniemac

I am still upset about Flash's parents pictures and their teeth. Shannon has done a great job but it is so sad to think that they chewed on the cage. :cry*ing:

Now I am thinking of teeth and care. I know that it is important and since the only good thing about Ella's insurance (reason I kept it) is that I have a benefit for teeth cleaning each year. Since they do not pay for anything else, I might as well take as much advantage as I can.

My question is that she had problems the last time she had anesthesia which caused an infection. I might have asked this before but are there risks to being under anesthesia too much?

I have a tooth brush to brush her teeth myself but any recommendations on professional teeth cleaning? How often should it be done and at what age is a good time to start. Ella is 4 so I probably should have done this before now.

I know I ask so many questions so thank you for those who respond and help.

:thnx:

Hi Annie

I cant comment on visits to my vets for any teeth cleaning but since my first Cavalier came to stay here my Poppy I started a regime for cleaning there teeth that I have continued with every day .I probably do go over the top in what I do buts thats me ,also I always have at the back of my mind the link with bad teeth and Heart problems and of course I don't want any of them having any unnecessary anesthetic ,so my nightly routine starts with

1) All have their own brushes
2) Brush teeth with Vibrac enzymatic (fish or chicken flavour )
3) Brush again with Logic gel
4) Brush again with Petzlife salmon flavour
5) Two squirts of Petzlife oral care spray
6) One Logic dental chew each
and twice a week one pillule of Fragaria and one of Rhus Tox and a twice
weekly wrestle and thorough inspection of their teeth which all look fine.
All above times four of course and time taken around 30 minutes nightly ,
and I brush after they have all had their supplements and vitamins ,but thats
another story.:eek:
Its time to clean them now before I takr Luke out .

Non anesthetic teeth cleaning is becoming more and more popular! I've seen some advertising for that around where I live.

If you can get them to the point where they will sit still and let you brush their teeth and scrape their teeth you can find a place that does doggie teeth just like they do people teeth, while we are awake!

Back