• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

could it be SM?

theresa d

had Bella with vet today,she has a chest infection vet gave her an injection (in back of her neck) and she yelped like mad for about 30 seconds,the first thing that came to my mind was discomfort from SM??? I only have her a month and got her from a very old man who was not able to look after her any more,I know with Cavs it's a risky thing to do,get a dog I know absolutely no history of but my heart ruled my head when I saw her and she's such a dote! I've read lots of stuff on SM and the only other possible symptom she shows is scratching,which i dont think is excessive or anything and she doesnt do it on a lead,I had her neutered last week and while her stitches were in she managed not to scratch which makes me think that she has control over it,is the scratching from SM uncontroable? I've frontlined her to outrule fleas. Maybe I'm just reading too much into everything? She is a yr and half approx.

What did the vet say? I know my cat yowls when they gave her intravenous fluids in the back of her neck and she def. does not have SM. I would just watch her and if scratching increases or yelping for no reason starts have her screened by a neurologist. THat one isolated incident may have just been the pain of the injection. If memory serves me correctly my vet gives Jack his vaccinations somewhere in his back leg area. Keep us posted and enjoy Bella:p

The last time Coco had a vaccination she yelped for about 30 seconds also, and the vets all felt so bad :( She didn't get a shot in the back of her neck either. I think this breed is just ultra sensitive. Don't think the worst yet, it might just be nothing.

It's so hard not to over worry with these guys though :( I freak out every time Coco scratches at her collar..makes me wonder if she has or will get SM.

Just a quick post to mention you don't need vaccines to go into the back of the neck. The yoke area is better for absorption so my old vet said. We also had Poppy microchip lower down.

thanks for your replies,i feel bit better now,it must be a practice in Ireland to give jabs in that particular site,she got an antiobiotic and steroid shot today but any other dogs we had vaccinated were all in back of neck? I didnt ask vet about SM,mainly because I'm afraid of what I'd hear,which is stupid really but I also know that if I ever do have to face it there is no where in Ireland that I'm aware of that do MRI's,I would have to go to England? Anyway like someone said,at the moment there are no definite signs so I'm going to enjoy her and just keep the rest to the back of my mind if or until I ever need to face it!

i had ruby to the vet on saturday with gastroenteritis. the vet gave her a shot of antibiotic, and one of painkiller. after the second one she yelped and started scratching her neck madly , as if to get rid of the pain :( she has no symptoms of sm in normal life, the vet said the breed are just extra sensitive. :yikes

Its prob not, but make sure she is fully insured for lifetime before you even mention it to a vet, and try and forget all about sm and enjoy your dog. di

Hi Theresa,
There are certain shots which can be very painful for any dog.When Daisy was ill,I recall her getting a steroid shot about two years ago.There was another which my vet warned me "was going to smart"! It did and she bit him:(.(Buscopan)???
I recall posting about her about her going ballistic and yelping.
I wouldn't worry about SM based on such sparse evidence.
If she scratches,make sure her ears are always kept clean inside,use a product like stronghold or advocate a few times a year to keep earmites at bay and keep water out of her ears when washing and you can reduce scratching.
In time,if she ever develops SM,you'll know.
In Daisy's case,she became withdrawn,lost the ability to jump on furniture and developed problems walking on one of her front paws.But she was three before she became really symptomatic and we already knew she had SM from a low cost scan in the UK.
Hope this helps
Sins

Lola always screams for about 30 seconds after an injection. Then licks the vets face off to say they're forgiven :lol: The vets do say that Cavies have a low pain threshold :(

Its hard not to worry about our little ones and its good to know about SM, it sounds like just yucky shots.

I would definately not let this one thing get you down and enjoy your time with your new addition!

I think its important in general to be aware of what's going on with your dog and not just SM. Sounds like You will be a wonderful mother :)

Take care,

Anne and ella

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back