• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Milk -Anybody Give

Brian M

hi
Just read in the Cav book Margaret suggested about feeding Goats milk so wondering does anybody feed it if so how much and how often, I do feed a teaspoon of Goats Yogurt once a day with their evening meal.

Goats milk has smaller fat molecules than cow's milk so is more easily digested.

Many adult dogs are not able to tolerate milk.

You can give clabbered milk but it is good at putting weight on!! You shouldn't give it too often - maybe once or twice a week.

Take a two, or four-pint carton of milk, full cream or semi skimmed.

Remove about a cup of milk for your own use and to give you the air room needed when you come to shake it up.

Shake it hard for about ten seconds and leave it in a warm place like a sunny window or by an Aga to literally, go off. Ideally, do this three times a day (remove the top to let the air out after each shaking and don¡¦t forget to put it back!)

After as little as 3 or 4 days in warm weather (Summer) a little longer, say about 5 or 6 days if the weather is colder (Winter) it will have become a thick fluid a little like yoghurt and it will smell fresh, yet a touch cheesy.

This is the wonderful stuff that is clabbered milk. If you forget to shake it, or you let it go on longer you will, quite simply, end up with curds and whey. You can still feed it to your dog, but give it a good shake to mix them. It may just separate into curds and whey again, when left.

I give my lot a teaspoon of St Helens Farm Goats' Milk Yoghurt on their food every second day Brian as an aid to a healthy gut.

So far as I know, there is no need to give any kind of milk to dogs on a regular basis, although goats' milk is thought by some to be good for expectant or lactating bitches and for their pups during the first year of life.

Back