• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Several SM MRI questions... Sorry

anniemac

I have posted recently about wanting to see another neurologist or to talk to someone about some questions I have. The more I try to read Dr. Rusbridge's book the more questions I have :-? but I am glad I am.

I knew it would have stuff way over my head but I don't really understand what Ella's MRI images mean in relation to what she is talking about which I want to. My step dad is (was retired) a Radiologist so I know he maybe can help explain some of what the actual image means in relation to where her syrinx is located etc. However, if he would have a person with CM/SM he would send them to a neurologist for all the other details.

1) How different in terms of MRI reading is it for a dog and a human? I will probably know the answer to that when I have him help me this weekend. He is going to read what she says and try to help me with basic things.

2) Ella had surgery and her neurologist did a second MRI but did not give me the images and he did it for a low cost so I have a write up but it is not very helpful. Some neurologists say that the syrinx size can decrease which I know of one person whose actually ended up going away, but since there is scar tissue that is not going to happen for her. So how does this change her first MRI? Would the placement be the same?

The reason I want to know all of this stuff is because of my previous post. I am scared about her weakness in the limbs and I would like for my step dad to spend time to explain things and I am going to see her neurologist Jan. 6th and I want to have a better understanding. I know neurologists are busy and would not spend the time my step dad or everyone on this forum does with helping me. You can say I ask a lot of questions. :blabla:

Thanks again for helping me. I think I killed some brain cells because in high school I would go to state competitions for Biology and science but college changed all of that. I thought I could not go to my first biology class all semester because I already knew it and take the test and pass. I did but barely. but that was not smart so my plans changed from wanting to be a Biology major the first semester in college. Maybe I should have not spent so much time partying...:fool:

Hey Anne, you mean the syrinx going away on it's own or after surgery?

Ella's will not and I believe the hope the size will decrease but this persons Cavalier is a success story that she said Dr. Marino uses. Latest MRI did not show it present. She had surgery 2 years ago.

I can't remember why I brought this up b/c Ella's results were opposite due to developing scar tissue. I guess they can develop more than one? I want to be able to understand a little more

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I've given up a bit on trying to understand the rhyme and reason behind it all...
If I have to listen to Blondie's MRI she should've been paralyzed or with severe pain episodes a long time ago...
Her syrinx was 90 percent. We are now 6 months later and we just came from a half an hour christmas walk.
I think it's really hard to look for a "pattern", since every dog is so individual..
I've heard the syrinx resolvement story, but Dr. West says according to him it almost never happens. There was one interesting thing he said about an instability in a spot behind the neck that, when it is instable, will lead to faster clinical progression. Not sure about the details of that anymore but thought I would mention it...

Thanks! Yes that's what's good and bad that you can't predict but Ella would be not here, Blondie paralyzed and I've heard others that have thankfully been proven wrong.

Dr. Brofmann just called! Now I feel bad. He said several things but he always told me surgery is to try and stop progression. Never promised anything on syrinx

Said we can try acetazolamide and he would be more than happy for me to highlights parts of Dr. Rusbridges book and he will try tl explain :)

It can get overwhelming and sometimes you need to take a break, but I want to try to understand as much as I can about her condition

It's important to make an informed decision, but sometimes all the information can drive us crazy!!! Dr. West said Lord knows how many cavaliers have serious syrinxes and we'd never know because a lot of them are asymptomatic and never ever get scanned, or owners just think their dogs scratch or whatever. We only get to study the ones that have problems.
What is acetazolamide? Never heard of it.

It's important to make an informed decision, but sometimes all the information can drive us crazy!!! Dr. West said Lord knows how many cavaliers have serious syrinxes and we'd never know because a lot of them are asymptomatic and never ever get scanned, or owners just think their dogs scratch or whatever. We only get to study the ones that have problems.
What is acetazolamide? Never heard of it.

Totally agree it can drive You nuts. Dr. Brofman said the majority of the time he will find out a dog has SM is from doing an MRI for a completely unrelated issue. What they came in for is for issues not related to SM.

Have no idea about drug but asked on yahoo group. Some link a person gave said its primarily used for altitude sickness? Interested if anyone else has heard anything.

I did a quick search and I found key words such as "body fluid reducer" "treatment of glaucoma" "treatment of epilepsy" and motion sickness as well.
Still a mystery to me!! :)

I can see epilepsy and body fluid reducer. Wonder why some drugs do several different things

It also said should be used for short period of time. I'm curious

Lynn,

Rod Russell responded on other forum and I asked him to also do it here so I don't say it wrong. It is mentioned on his website WWW.cavalierhealth.org under drugs on the SM section. Still don't know if it's helped anyone

Lynn,

Rod Russell responded on other forum and I asked him to also do it here so I don't say it wrong. It is mentioned on his website WWW.cavalierhealth.org under drugs on the SM section. Still don't know if it's helped anyone

Here is what I wrote, including the shameless plug: Acetazolamide (brand name "Diamox") is a carbonic anhydrase inhibitor -- a form of a diuretic -- which decreases the flow of cerebrospinal fluid. Potential adverse side effects of abdominal pain, lethargy, weakness, and bone marrow suppression limit the drug's long term use. See http://www.cavalierhealth.org/syringomyelia.htm#--_drugs

Thanks rod! Your website has great information. I should have looked there first ;) its not a shameless plug, very detailed information but I'm curious who has any experience with it.

Wonder why some drugs do several different things

I think this is often accidental! You give a dog a diuretic to reduce fluid, and then find that a dog who also has epilepsy shows some improvement there as well, so you start using the drug just for epilepsy and it works. Sort of a benign side effect...

As I understand it, the main reason that it is difficult to predict how much damage a syrinx can potentially do is that it only really does damage if it develops laterally - ie spread sideways and starts interfering with the nerves that are carried in the spinal cord. As long as the syrinx stays narrow, the symptoms will probably be limited (and may be more due to the Chiari Malformation than to the syrinx itself). The use of diuretics like frusemide is both to reduce the damage done by enlarged ventricles, but also to try and prevent the syrinx getting wider and causing more serious symptoms (and to prevent the formation of more syrinxes).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

The use of diuretics like frusemide is both to reduce the damage done by enlarged ventricles, but also to try and prevent the syrinx getting wider and causing more serious symptoms (and to prevent the formation of more syrinxes).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hello Kate (Or rod), I was wondering if there are any studies out there who show that the diuretics prevent syrinxes from becoming larger over not giving diuretics? Mine is on omeprazole, and I've always wondered about that...

Back