PDA

View Full Version : Head trauma

Soushiruiuma
29th December 2010, 10:38 PM
We were playing fetch at the park and I kicked a tennis ball that flew straight into Guinness' face. It was pretty close range, maybe 5-10 feet.

We're back home now, he's got the eye he got hit in squinted (but not completely shut). I gave him sone treats, and he seems to be in good spirits. He had some previcox the vet prescribed him a few weeks ago that he didnt take, I went ahead and gave him one of those to help with the inflammation.

I'm just worried that I might have really injured his eye.

What should I be doing/watching for?

Nicki
29th December 2010, 10:43 PM
Oh goodness poor wee fellow :( and poor you, you must be feeling awful.

I think I would take him in to get it checked over just in case - eyes are just too risky to leave...

if he's still squinting then it's sore, it's going to be badly bruised at the very least and might swell up. Put a cool damp flannel up against it to try to reduce the swelling.

I'd be wary of giving him anything without speaking to your vet first.

anniemac
29th December 2010, 10:50 PM
I did a search on google and I would take to vet. Said that it could cause bruising etc. It probably is nothing but much better to be safe. It can possibly scratch eye etc. Worth a trip if anything to ease your mind

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Soushiruiuma
30th December 2010, 06:39 AM
Alright, we called the vet. He'll go in tomorrow for a look at the eye. They said it's unlikely his retina detached (my concern), and that the worst that probably happened is some corneal scratching. We both took a nap to recover, so we're feeling better.

Pat
30th December 2010, 11:58 AM
I agree that it's definitely worth a vet check. Vet will stain eye to check for corneal abrasions, etc. This happened to one of my retrievers years ago with a stick that bounced up and hit his eye. I never threw sticks again but used other objects for fetch.

Pat

Chamberlain
30th December 2010, 01:44 PM
Oh no! Best wishes at the vet tomorrow!

Tania
30th December 2010, 02:49 PM
Good Luck at the vets, always best to get eyes checked just in case.