• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Please help by sharing your stories - SM and MVD

Nicki

from the author of http://twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com/

I have decided to tackle Syringomyelia (SM/CM) one of the most devastating diseases to the Cavalier breed. Syringomyelia (SM) is an extremely serious condition in which fluid-filled cavities develop within the spinal cord near the brain. It is also known as "neck scratcher's disease", because one of its common signs is scratching in the air near the neck. While the Cavalier is the breed most effected (or maybe its just that we admit it and testing has begun) other small breeds are effected as well.

The event will take place January 23 - 30th and I will be posting all the information I can get my hands on in order to help spread awareness. As a Blogger it is my responsibility to make people aware of what is going on. Genetic diseases are something that no one wants to take on so I will but I need help. That is where you all come in. I am looking for:

• Breeders who are currently doing MRI testing that would like to write a Guest Post
  • Owners who have dogs affected by the disease no matter what breed they are who would like to share their dog's story
  • Veterinarians (neurologists mainly)
  • Bloggers who would like to cross post the event on their blog to help spread awareness even further
If you would like to participate please email us [email protected] and let us know how you would like to help.

Our February Awareness event will be Mitral Valve Disease (MVD) quite fitting for the month of February.

Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Last edited:
Anyone that comments that their cavaliers have been scanned and are SM *clear* hate to say but I am skeptical. If someone has that, shouldn't the information be provided for research etc? Ruperts fund is set up to scan older 6+ cavaliers and is funded in a large part by people on this forum and others.

If people have had their cavaliers already mri at that age, wouldn't that be valuable also. I think I read on cavalier health to send the mri images to dr. Rusbridge?

For example the question of whether or not to have an mri prior to breeding is more complex. What age were they scanned? What the results mean.

Nicki, there was a question as to why ruperts fund is now concentrating on males. Would it also help if older cavaliers, on their own, say if they are not in uk, be scanned for research?

I think sandy smith (for the love of ollie) said a way to help is if I know of any 6 year olds or older, it would be beneficial for research to have them scanned? That is why their is a sm breeding protocol. The protocol allows for sm cavaliers to be breed to an A b/c I imagine it is difficult to keep the breed for lack of As?

Someone mentioned before that in the us where is the information going?

Can they still send the images and be valuable for research?

I know ruperts fund is near and dear to me (need to ship items) but for a worldwide awareness can anyone tell me what pet owners can do in the us? if someone says their cavaliers are SM free and have been scanned, should people know what the next step is?

Saying a cavaliers heart has been *tested* you would want to know by cardiologist, look at age, and see results. I would imagine if people just say "mine have all been scanned and are clear" could be misunderstood and should be backed up. Right?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Back