View Full Version : Hello I have a very ill CKC

Gina G
3rd January 2011, 06:14 PM
I am the proud grandparent of a 8 1/2 y/o CKC named Moose who was my daughters baby untill she had to go off to college 2 yrs ago. I have been his primary care giver since his medical problems presented themselves. I had no idea his scratching and face rubbing on the furniture were a sign of anything. Right after my DD left for college. I took moose to a clinic because I noticed a sore starting on his eye and he was needing his vaccines. He was dx with massive ear infection and ulcer on his eye, but the vet also gave him his vaccines which I found out later is not recommended to ill dogs. The next day he was paralysed unable to eat drink or walk and the ulcer was caused by facial paralysis and we had his eye sewn shut. After 6 weeks of intensive care he regained his strength and I thought it was over even though he still was not blinking he was able to walk eat and drink. Over the next few months he began to stumble and act confused did some research and thats when I found out about SM and Chiari. He is on pred and lasix and enalipril I feed him with g tube syringe in a baily chair that my husband made and he only has one side of his thoat that he can swallow good from, he is able to drink water from a bowl and still takes himself out to potty but I know its not going to get better and our days together are not long on this earth, thats why I wanted to join this forum for support and maybe for some ideas on how I can prolong our time together with alternative treatments, therapies or supplements.
Thanks for your time, Gina G :d*g:

3rd January 2011, 06:46 PM
I'm so very sorry to hear about Moose, you have been through a horrendous time already :(:(

I just wanted to do a quick post to welcome you, there is plenty of support on here :thmbsup:, you might also find this site helpful for management info too http://cavaliermatters.org/

I do think he needs to be under the management of a neurologist familiar with SM - has he seen one? It sounds like his pain control needs to be assesed and improved.

3rd January 2011, 06:51 PM
Gina, So sorry to read your post, it is so sad.
You are right to assume that you will get lots of support and advice here. Lots of members have dogs with SM here.
I am so fortunate that my boy was SM clear when scanned nearly 2 years ago but we all know it can develop at anytime.

All I can do is send hugs and if you have any questions then just ask....someone here will have the answer.


3rd January 2011, 06:51 PM
So sorry to hear about Moose. Sounds like you are taking great care of him. You will find lots of help and support here. :)

3rd January 2011, 08:00 PM
Welcome to the board! So sorry to hear about your Cavalier. :hug: This board is a great place for information and support!

I do think he needs to be under the management of a neurologist familiar with SM - has he seen one? It sounds like his pain control needs to be assessed and improved.

I agree with Nicki... You are not very far from Texas A & M. They have a wonderful neurology & cardiology department there and highly recommend our neurologist there. If it is SM proper medication can do wonders. Very few vets where I am at (San Antonio) seem to know anything about SM and it was not until I saw the neurologist that I was able to get my puppy the correct medication.

3rd January 2011, 08:56 PM
Welcome to the site and I'm so sorry for you and Moose. This is a good place to be, there's loads of info and great people here.

4th January 2011, 02:14 AM
Very few vets where I am at (San Antonio) seem to know anything about SM and it was not until I saw the neurologist that I was able to get my puppy the correct medication.

This is definitely true, I've talked to probably 10 vets locally (my coworkers- I don't pay for all these visits), and not a single one has heard of SM. But they all warn me about MVD, so they are familiar with cavaliers. It's definitely not standard cirriculum at US vet schools.

Poor Moose sounds like he's had rough time lately. I would definitely recommend a trip to a neuro vet, they may be able to work out some meds that would better manage Moose's symptoms.

Good luck, and welcome.

Gina G
4th January 2011, 06:07 AM
I will call A&M maybe there is a study he can be part of I can't afford much I'm still paying on a $900 bill for all the past care he's been given. Maybe they can suggest some treatment or a caring knowledgible neurologist or give my current vet a plan of care for Moose. Thanks again for your comforting words.:hug:

4th January 2011, 12:05 PM
Welcome to the forum. I am so sorry Moose is so poorly. I agree with the above advice, if you saw a Neuro Vet they might be able to prescribe the appropriate pain control.

With regards to feeding and drinking, it would be helpful to raise the bowls off ground level. It would also help to use a harness rather than a collar, there are step in harnesses available so you don't have to pull anything over his neck, head and face.

Gentle hugs to you both. :hug:

4th January 2011, 01:07 PM
Hi Gina and welcome to the forum. As you will probably realise, there are plenty of us here with dogs that have SM and CM, and each dog has a different (but similar) tale to tell. I'm sorry to read about Moose's troubles.
If you click on this link: http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/part4.htm#35
you will find two documents that you can print off and give to your vet. One is a treatment algorithm for SM, and the other is an information sheet. They might be of help, particularly if you can't get to see a neurologist.

Gina G
4th January 2011, 03:01 PM
Any change in treatment may be too late he can't seem to walk he's just lying down breathing is some what labored. I carried him out to potty this morning after giving him some water with a small syringe, he was able to take a few steps the stumbled, tried to stand to poop but fell in it. For the first time he did'nt move all night, his vets office is going to be closed for 2 days so they may switch over to all computer files. He's not able to eat all his food he has been choking more and more, I've even spead his feedings to 3 times a day but he probaly is only getting half of his 60cc per syringe full which I give him 2 at each feeding. My husband say it's time to say goodbye but he's had bad days before and I don't want to quit on him too early. Usually increasing his pred has help in the past ,but he is already back up to the strongest dose sugested and it has made no difference. Maybe I'm just putting off the inevitable:(. I should have joined this forum sooner. I do thank you all for your help you have all been simple wonderful to me and Moose:hug:

4th January 2011, 03:49 PM
So sorry to hear he is struggling and you are going through this. Given the situation today that you have just mentioned, I would get him to another vet urgently or the emergency vets, and right way -- to see if he can be made more comfortable or to talk with a vet about whether this is the right time, before he is in further pain and difficulty, to give him his wings. It is so much better to let them go when they are clearly near the end of what they can give or enjoy of life, but before they really are in a final desperate crisis. I know you would not want him to pass in pain and difficulty at home if this could be eased for him. :flwr:

As hard as it may be not to be working with your regular vet, I would definitely not leave him for two days as he really sounds like he is having a hard time and it would be terrible to leave him struggling. Maybe the vet will make an exception for him though and see him right away?

There is a good article pinned at the top of the health library section on knowing when it is 'time' and maybe that will be of help. In your place, to be honest :flwr: I would feel he is struggling awfully hard and close to needing his rest, as you have done so much for so long now and there comes a point when they simply need release and it is a kindness to them. But each owner needs to make that difficult decision.

Gina G
4th January 2011, 04:07 PM
My SIL is texting his vet for me since they have known each other so long. I have read the article you mentioned and I know if he can't come up with an alternative I will be there with Moose when I set him free, being held close to my chest with his head near my heart so he can hear and feel my love for him as he slips away peacefully. I'm still praying there still may be something that can be done for him, it seems he went down hill so fast after I've been able to maintain him all these months. It's hard for me to give up, I've dedicated my life to making sure I could do everything to keep him going when others would have given up when I had to start feeding him with a syringe, sitting up in a baily chair. I will keep everyone posted not quite sure how this day will turn out.
Thanks for all your comforting word for me and Moose.

4th January 2011, 04:13 PM
Oh no I'm so very sorry - it does sound like he is really struggling :(:(

I have been through this too many times myself so can empathise with what you are going through - if there is not going to be an improvement then I think maybe you do need to think hard about his quality of life - you have shown an amazing amount of dedication and care for precious Moose :lotsaluv:

Please keep us posted - you are in our thoughts :flwr:

Gina G
4th January 2011, 04:21 PM
Thank you so much, I will keep everyone posted:hug:

4th January 2011, 04:33 PM
I am am praying for you both. I have tears in my eyes reading this. I know you have support here and hopefully you can find a vet to help.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

4th January 2011, 06:06 PM
Reading your posts brings tears to my eyes, you have done so much for Moose and it must be so difficult to let go and say goodbye. You and Moose are in my thoughts.


4th January 2011, 06:18 PM
It is so hard to make that final decision, especially when you have looked after them for so long and with so much care, but it is the last act of love we can provide for our beloved companions - to make sure they are not suffering any more. So many of us have been there already - you will have all the support you need here.

We are all holding you and Moose in our hearts http://i673.photobucket.com/albums/vv97/Cavviewagtails/Animations/Heartblowingpoog.gif

4th January 2011, 09:51 PM
I'm moving the latter section of this thread across to the In Memoriam section

Gina G
4th January 2011, 10:07 PM
Was'nt sure how to do it.