• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Video and pics: Blessing of the Animals service, Christchurch, Dublin

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
This is at 1pm and all are welcome; as is a pet you'd like blessed! This annual special service at Christchurch Cathedral was postponed til Thursday.

Karlin I have a selfish request but could you have a prayer for Ella? She seems to be declining and I'm going to neurologist

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

LOL, I'm imagining Jaspar with his back pack, so cute. I would love to bring Darcy along but at work today so cannot make it. Sometimes our local church does this also so I will keep an eye out. Have fun :)

Our local church has a special pet service every year, it is lovely to go to it with the two dogs - we also get cats, rabbits, hamsters, lizards etc and last time, a little girl that doesn't own a pet brought along a worm in a jar :p
There is always a special speaker from an animal related area, such as Peata (therapy dogs) the zoo, the DSPCA etc.

The blessing was for all animals so think we are all covered for a blessing! :) Dogs in poor health or homeless were specially mentioned. :flwr:

Here's a video -- you can see Jaspar. You can't see her but Connie, a B&T who belongs to my neighbour Nellie, was on the right and is a qualified therapy dog now (so she was in her PEATA jacket like most of the dogs there -- PEATA's the Irish organisation of therapy dogs) and is one of my rescue dogs. :D You can hear the dogs joining in with the singing! At the start you briefly can see a huge Leonberger to the left on the floor -- there were two and just one of them was about the same volume as 16 cavaliers... :lol:

And here are some pics:

Connie (one of my rehomed rescues and a PEATA dog!) next to owner Nellie (in wooly cap, who owned Jack, people may remember from our In memoriam section as she lost him last year):
5329895695_6260489ab2.jpg

Connie:
5330505924_408036510a.jpg

Jaspar chills out for the service with his head on my lap:
5330506272_d1880388d2.jpg

A little guy in the next row back:
5329896401_99d95fa83c.jpg

Visitors enjoying mince pies and tea after the service:
5330506566_290d7a69e5.jpg

And dogs and people departing at the end!
5330506894_1e785a0b13.jpg

It was a really lovely service and packed out -- all the people with dogs were called to the front of the church for a special blessing for all our companions to have long and healthy lives -- with special thoughts for the dogs with no homes. :)

Karlin, thanks for sharing this with us. I wish we could have something like this near us - what a wonderful idea:)

Karlin;37694 It was a really lovely service -- all the people with dogs were called to the front of the church for a special blessing for all our companions to have long and healthy lives -- with special thoughts for the dogs with no homes. :)[/QUOTE said:
Sounds like it was tailormade for you Karlin!
Lovely photos, Connie and Jaspar look like they are at home there.

Blessing of the animals

That just looks wonderful, thank you so much for putting up the video and pics. There is normally a blessing here in Ballyvaughan also, but the parish priest is on a sabbatical. If it still goes on I'll let you know in case anyone can make it. All animals are welcome, last time we had rabbits, dogs, cats, a ferret and the stars- twin calves! (they had to stay outside :p)

I love the idea of a worm in a jar myself! :rotfl:

Jaspar was so good -- he just lay on my lap or on the chair or I held him so he could watch when we stood to sing some belated carols. I brought along a piece of cow's ear (chew) to keep him busy just in case -- you can see it to the right of him in the pic -- but when I went back to my seat after the blessing some other dog had snitched it!! :lol:

Have you seen my thread about posting parcels? :-D

My Mother's favourite story was from when I was about 4 and she caught me sneaking in with a worm in my hand - "But Mummy he was cold outside so I brought him in to play"

This little girl is obviously related to me!!!

Thank you so much for sharing the photos and video - so glad that Jaspar enjoyed himself and lovely to see wee Connie and Nellie - we do of course remember Jack :(

What a wonderful idea - it sounds a lovely thing to attend. I did try to get one organised at a church in the village where I lived some years back, but the Rector wasn't happy about doing it :sl*p:

Back