• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lyrica Vs Gabapentin

AgilityLola

I've been thinking of changing Lola from gabapentin to lyrica recently. The reason for this is because the gabapentin isn't actually doing anything for her, she has reduced scratching a bit after the surgery but the gabapentin isn't helping to reduce it. Though it has stopped her headaches, as she seems a bit happier with the cold, i was wondering if lyrica would be at all better. Clare said i could try but i'm still not sure.

I heard that lyrica causes less side effects, though i dog think Lola suffers from any with gabapentin. Plus the price isn't expensive as it is 13.70 for 100 tabs.

What are peoples views on lyrica compared to gabapentin? Does lyrica treat symptoms better, such as scratching and headaches ? how did you change from gabapentin to lyrica? as i know you can't just stop the gabapentin. Has anyone's dog suffered bad side effects?

Any help would be appreciated :)

Naomi :flwr:

We haven't found any side effects. Dylan was on Gabapentin for a long time, in the end it didn't work and it made him very drowsy. We switched to Lyrica and the results are amazing. On Gabapentin, Dylan struggled to jump on a low foot stool we used for him to get onto the sofa. Within a day or two of him being on Lyrica, he could jump up onto a double bed. His whole face changed, with no/less pain, he looked younger over night. I was/am over the moon. :D

Clare will explain how to switch from Gabapentin to Lyrica, she has a little routine, it's easy to follow and takes 3 days.

Only down side is your vet will unlikely supply you. I go to Boots Chemist as it's easy for me. They stamp my prescription and give me a receipt there and then. I give that to my vet who sends it off for Dylan's insurance. If you are not insured, you may want to shop around.

I think it would be worth trying as Lyrica is more potent than Gabapentin, it is the first drug to be approved in the treatment of Fibromyalgia (in humans). Unfortunately it is more expensive as it is still patent and there is not a generic available.

Minnie is much better on Lyrica, we changed over a couple of months ago. As Pauline says it takes 3 days and Clare will instruct you how.

I found with gabapentin it had to be given to her at strict 8 hour intervals and if for any reason a dose was a bit late then she would start showing discomfort.

Since being on Lyrica it is only given twice a day, so much easier to give at regular intervals. However we have found that it doesn't have to be at such strict timing intervals as the gabapentin. We have got into a routine of giving it 7.a.m and then she gets her next dose around 6.30 ish.

You cannot get it from the Vet, so need to get a prescription and then take to a pharmacy. I have found Tesco and Asda are the cheapest.

Plus the price isn't expensive as it is 13.70 for 100 tabs.
I would double check that price Naomi - Bosco recently changed over to Lyrica and it costs €270 for 100 x 100mg tablets. Thats approx £225! My vet orders it for us.
Bosco has defnitely improved, he isn't air scratching at all now when we go for a walk, and has started to take an interest in playing with his toys again. :p, so I would go for it, you have nothing to lose in trying it anyway to see how Lola gets on.
For those of you that have changed over from gabapentin, are you giving them the same doseage of Lyrica? Ie if on 3x 100mg of gabapentin are you also giving 3 x 100 mg of Lyrica? or have you found that you can give less?

Last edited:
For those of you that have changed over from gabapentin, are you giving them the same doseage of Lyrica? Ie if on 3x 100mg of gabapentin are you also giving 3 x 100 mg of Lyrica? or have you found that you can give less?

No, we changed from 3 x 100mg gabapentin to 2 x 50mg Lyrica.

3 months worth of pills (180 capsules) cost me £310 at Boots.

Back