• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Not coming into season

paula12

Hi all

Once Bonnie was diagnosed with SM, we made the decision not to sterilise her when we did her sister, which was after they both had their first season. Due to her dramas we were trying to limit the amount of stress on her body.

However since her diagnosis and she has been on prednisolone she has not had another season.

Not that I'm complaining but was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Love

Paula....Bonnie and Molly

P.s boy can Bonnie snore!!!

What age is she?

Some bitches come into their first season later than others - anything from 6 months to 18 months for a first season is reasonably normal. As a general rule of thumb, the smaller the breed the earlier her seasons will start but this is, by no means, set in stone. Also, her not coming into heat may be because she has difficulty in that area. As you were saying, she has had some dramas in the past so her reproductive cycles may be a bit all over the place or she may just have issues. As with humans, not all dogs have an easy time with fertility, heat cycles etc. so this could also be the reason she has not come into heat season yet.

If you are worried, your vet can do a hormone panel to try to determine what the situation is. They will also be also to advise you as to what is best for her generally re neutering, seasons, long term plans etc.

(some of my guys really snore too - they are like pot bellied pigs!)

She is 2 1/2 years old, she had her first season when she was about 7 months old (the first of the two girls to come into season), however since her diagnosis of SM and subsequent treatment hasn't even shown a sign of coming into heat.

Not causing any problems, was just curious if anyone else had experienced this whilst their dog was on cortisone.

Paula...Bonnie and Molly

I would at least talk to the vet about it if you haven't. I haven't heard of this; maybe it is a known possible side effect. But there could also be some other health reason she isn't coming into season and I'd make an appointment to discuss the situation (unless they tell you it isn;t a concern :) ).

Back