• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Ellas not eating and in kennel

anniemac

Ever since Ella went to vet and got her bordettla (spelling) for kennel cough she has been acting strange. She is drinking a lot more but it is rare that Ella will have food sitting. Now if I got a cheeseburger she would come running.

I know she is getting worse but the not eating is strange. Of course know She is licking lips but I have no idea. Blood work and everything came back normal.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

How long has it been since she last ate?

I would not tempt her with anything besides her normal food.

I'm not tempting her. I was just joking. I noticed yesterday. Then when I was eating my food She came over. She will eat her greenies pill pockets to take her medication. She comes over and wants that. I say she has been sporadic but She never leaves food. Last night she left some until way later.

She is in my lap now but she didn't want to come outside earlier but then got out of kennel and walked and seemed fine

We have another appointment next week but I am not knowing what is going

She still will not eat. I got her out of the kennel and she has been laying with me. Usually she does not like to be touched for very long and will not get comfortable or want to lay on cold floor.

Now She is being extremely still. It is a change in behavior that makes me concerned.

I hope Ella is feeling better.

If she is licking her lips, it sounds like she may be nauseous ... which makes sense of course if she is snubbing her food. I hope she feels better soon and has more energy and is back to herself by morning.

Is she having normal bowel movements at least once or twice daily? If not, this may be the cause of her not eating if her digestive system is 'full'.

When Charlie was on Tramadol, I had to give him a 1,000 mg fish oil softgel in his food daily, to help fight constipation. Evidently it softens the stool. And I added water to his food to help him eliminate.

Walking also helps, but that can be difficult when they're not feeling well.

I think its definitely digestive problems. She is doing much better. Thanks Cathy for the information. I started putting salmon oil but She is having diarrhea so I don't know if that's the cause?

If she is having diarrhea, her digestive system needs to have a rest. It's probably good that she isn't eating, and I wouldn't give her oil when she has diarrhea. Usually a 12 hour rest from eating is good, but then you do want them eating for good nutrition.

Is she overweight or underweight?

With Charlie, I was constantly tweaking his diet to help him just have normal elimination. The constipation from Tramadol was his main problem besides the pain episodes.

She is definitely overweight. I switched food and I don't think it is doing her good. She actually went to the park and was doing better than I've ever seen her. She was playing and having fun.

I need to go back over what Nicki sent me from you. Diet needs adjustment. No oil for past two days but at least she is feeling much better and not SM relate

Have you tried to estimate how many daily calories she needs to maintain her weight and to lose weight slowly? I have managed to do this for my dogs, so that when I switch foods I can calculate how much to feed them.

If you want help with that, I'd be glad to assist.

I noticed you mentioned 'greenies pill packets' - are these made by the same firm who make the greenies chew sticks? If so, these are notorious for swelling up in the stomach and causing digestive problems - most pet shops in the UK seem to have stopped selling them because so many people complained of problems. Might be worth finding some other way of giving Ella her pills - perhaps wrap them up in a sliver of cheese?

Hope she's feeling better - SM makes you anxious about the least extra thing going wrong!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

So pleased she is doing a bit better digestive upsets can make them feel awful - and obviously we always jump to the conclusion that it's the SM :(

As Kate says, avoid the greenies pill pockets - not happy with the ingredients really either. I would avoid cheese and deli meats for giving pills for SM dogs - you want them on a low salt diet.

Try smearing it with honey, that's worked well for some people and is good for them!!

Alternatively a bit of natural bio [live] yogurt.

Hope she's ok today?

Thanks for the advice! I will no longer use pill pockets (expensive anyway). Cheese? Oh no. This is going to take experimenting (I think there is something in the Rupert's fund recipe book about pills).

Cathy, I would love your advice and will pm you. Thanks!

Ellas doing good besides sliding on ice. Much better! Thank You so much. Guess this should have been on diet forum, but everything seems SM to me.

Back