• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried

Sullysmom

Sully had an "episode" last night that freaked me out. Everything was fine after dinner. We were all hanging out watching tv. He and Murphy were playing on the floor at our feet. Nothing out of the ordinary. All of a sudden sully helped and then started getting ready to vomit. I picked him up and took him off the carpet. He then vomited up all his dinner. Less then 5 minutes later it happened again. A yelp and then vomit. After that he just came up on my lap and acted perfectly fine. I did out nightly brushing. Then we went up to bed and he curled up like normal. The vomiting doesn't bother me. The yelping first is what freaked me out. Thoughts? Head to the vet? Thoughts?

I hope your sully is doing better. I did alot of research on the health of cavaliers before I bought and I kept finding Sm information. The more I read about it the more paranoid I became. My first cavalier I kept her collar off because puppies always scratch at a new collar but because she was a cavalier I was just paranoid the scratching was SM. Now with my second cavalier everytime he yelps I go into panic. Honestly I wish I were just dumb about SM. It makes me so worried all the time. You know some dogs are just more vocal about stuff. I imagine Sully's upset stomach is painful so he may have yelped for that reason.
At training class a few weeks ago I met a husky puppy and his owner was telling me how much he yelped at the smallest things. I had to smile to myself because had it been a cavalier I would had thought SM.

Sometimes yelping is caused by Luxating Patella, (kneecap dislocates) this is quite common. Next time you take him to the vet I would get this checked, a simple
examination will tell you if he has this problem or not.

How is he today?

I hope Sully is feeling a bit better today - I suspect it was probably just that he had a very sore tummy that made him yelp. Presuming this incident is totally in isolation? He hasn't yelped at any other time?

If you are worried about anything I'd take him to the vet and get it checked out just in case.

Keep us posted, we hope he is ok :flwr:

I brought my Monster to the vet after she vomited 4 times in an hour the lsat two times being blood!!! I freaked out and rushed to the ER.
WE got there and she threw up twice while waiting, both times she yelped and then vomited.
Nothing was found wrong, so it was simply an upset stomach but severe to a point where a vessel in the stomach or throat burst, according to my vet.
It can really hurt them to throw up violently. It hasnt happened again.

After those isolated puking episodes he's been fine. I agree about paranoid with the cavalier. If it had been my Labrador I would have thought nothing of it. I did call the vet. They suggested I just watch him. If he acts normal then I'm to assume he was yelping due to stomach cramps. Hopefully that's all it was. Such a shock to hear him cry like that. Such an overprotective mom!! I'm that way with my two legged children too! ;) thanks for your replies.

Agree with Nicki -- think it was just the discomfort of being about to vomit that caused the yelp. Vomiting is pretty common and can have so many causes! Most of the time it isn;t a concern but it can also be quite serious. If it is frequent or there's blood ir a lot of discomfort, that's the time to get to the vet. :)

Back