• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

maximum ideal weight for boy

nicola

Hi, I am just wondering what would be the ideal maximum weight for a very big boy cav? Both my boys are large (tall and long), Henry currently weighs just under 12 kg (26.5 lbs) and Charlie just under 10 kg (22 lbs). I know that sounds like a lot but the thing is they don't really look THAT overweight. I DO think they need to lose a few pounds (hence the new diet) but I am just not sure how much. They certainly don't look grossly overweight at all. Can anyone advise? I will maybe post a pic of them later. I have just changed them to orijen dry food and am using the recommended feeding amounts on the bag. Do I base it on their current weight or what their ideal weight is and if so what would their ideal weight be, keeping in mind that they are larger than the average cavalier all round? Hope that makes sense!

I think it is hard to tell - they might actually be at their ideal weight already. Some cavaliers are a lot more petite than others and likewise, there are some very large Cavaliers out there who are not necessarily that overweight.

You really do need to go by the size and how they look.

This is a link that has been posted on the board a lot since I have been a member and I use it as a guide ... my guys are between probably between the 2nd and third picture and they need to lose just a little (thought my vet doesn't think they need to lose as much as I do for them to be in line with the first picture)

http://www.roycroftinformationcenter.com/Roycroft Cavaliers/Roycroft Cavalier Care Feeding new.html

Forgot to Add - Lucky is now about 23 lbs - he should probably be more like 20. He's a large-ish Cavalier, but I've seen bigger! Sparky is above 20 now, I think he should probably be 17-18 ... it's hard when you have two dogs with different weights to portion them differently. I always feel sorry for Sparky. LOL

A perfect body condition for a dog is when just after the last rib you can see an indent in the waise when looking at the dog from above. So the ribs should be out (but not visible...with a Cavie check when they are all wet), waist should be in, and then hips should be out (again not visible). That is the nice hourglass figure for a pooch!

Also try feeling the ribs. If you find you have to really poke your fingers in to feel the rib bones, there is probably a little too much weight on him. If you can easilly feel the ribs, without them feeling like a xylophone, that is good :)

weight-chart-showing-ideal-overweight-and-underweight-dog.jpg

hmmm well going by the hour glass analogy then I think perhaps they are a tiny bit overweight. Can you still see the hour glass shape if they have a very full coat? Their coats have gone quite cotton woolly since they were neutered. Would you still be able to see the waist indent with a very heavy coat like this?

Going by the pictures posted above Charlie is not far off the ideal and Henry would be in the middle between the ideal and overweight. Neither of them looks anything like the overweight picture so thank goodness for that. I do still feel that they both need to lose a bit though.

Their coats have gone quite cotton woolly since they were neutered. Would you still be able to see the waist indent with a very heavy coat like this?

Not necessarily. With my Lucky you can, he has a shorter coat. Sparky's is more wooly/Cottony, and I can only tell when he is wet. One time I thought he was grossly overweight, and then bathed him and he was thinner than Lucky!! (but not so anymore ... he is losing the hourglass ....)

When you bath them, take a photo of them from above - then you can keep a record. The Roycroft site gives you an excellent idea of how to judge weight.

Cavaliers tend to carry weight around the back of their necks, around the base of the tail and on the chest - often you can clearly feel the ribs but they are still overweight.

Thanks Nicki, that is really useful info. I can def see weight around their chests and I do think they are overweight.Will take some photos of them this weekend when they get their baths.

Back