• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

collar

nicola

I am looking to buy new collars for my guys on etsy. Just wondering how wide of a collar everyone's furballs wear and if you can actually see your dogs collar? The collars I have on my two you can't see at all as all their hair hides it. I was thinking of going wider but was wondering would that make a difference. Can you all see your dogs collars? Just don't want to fork out a small fortune and then not be able to see the collars at all!

Depends really on how thick their coats are I suppose. I don't like really thick collars -- think mine are 3/4th inch or 5/8ths. I currently use Lupine collars -- I like their patterns... I like this shop; the woman who runs it is really nice! They have other collars too and ship abroad (eg to Ireland; they are in US):

http://www.petexpectations.com/

You could go to an inch I guess, but can't really use a much thicker collar on their small necks (like thick ones for whippets/greys) -- they would be uncomfortable bending it. On most of mine, you can't see their collars (but legally they need one for their tags and I know from doing rescue that a dog is far more likely to be returned if it has an easy to read tag and collar on than if chipped -- though they should also always be chipped as collars come off and in a dispute -- a chip registered to the owner will be a solid legal claim of ownership.

BTW these are great keyholders for spare keys, back door keys etc -- they are looped so fit right over my door handle (if you have the long narrow kind of handle and not a knob) and I can clip this to the lead or stick inn a small pocket rather than have to take all my heavy keys out on walks.

http://www.petexpectations.com/lupinekeychain.aspx

My dogs are microchipped, so they don't normally wear collars when at home (we have a large fenced back yard.)

I use the thinnest collar than Lupine makes - 1/2 inch, and these are just long enough to fit correctly. Their coats completely cover the collars. The only time my dogs wear their collars is when we take them somewhere in the car, because their ID tags are attached. But for walking, we hook their leads to their harnesses, not the collars.

I'd rather spend money on cute harnesses, like those at Up Country.

I have some bandanas that slide over their collars, made by a friend of mine. I used to put bandanas on them when we took them places, but now we just think of their comfort - and they seem to be most comfortable 'naked'! :)

So glad you brought this up... I had to modify a collar and harness

I do have to use a collar for doggy day care and when walking her outside the home. My little Gracie has very sensitive skin where her collar or harness are. Vet said she was just that way. She would vigorously scratch during and after her walk in specific areas where her collar was.

I ended up getting a wider, softer cat collar (about 1/2" wide) that worked great until I put a small ID nameplate on it that is installed with 2 metal prongs that seemed to irritate her after a rigorous walk. So I cut a strip of thick polar fleece fabric and sewed it to back side of her collar under the ID tag. This has been a blessing! Almost no more scratching!.

Gracie is easier to walk outside with a soft mesh, non-pull harness anyway...which we also use when she rides in the car. But even it had some areas that rubbed her.... metal or stiff elastic. So I also added polar to those areas of the harness and she almost never scratches during or after wearing it, even on a vigorous walk.

I am thinking about creating one for a friend with a small dog that hates her collar.

BTW these are great keyholders for spare keys, back door keys etc -- they are looped so fit right over my door handle (if you have the long narrow kind of handle and not a knob) and I can clip this to the lead or stick inn a small pocket rather than have to take all my heavy keys out on walks.

http://www.petexpectations.com/lupinekeychain.aspx

That's a clever idea Karlin - we use a carbiner clip for the car key and back door key and attach it to a ring on our coats that means the keys go into a pocket and are totally safe [I'm always terrified of losing keys :mad:]

I made Rose one of these no slip collars: http://www.petsmart.com/product/ind...-6728-DF11-9DA0-002219319097&mr:referralID=NA

from the pink and brown striped collar she had and extra length from the matching harness. She likes it A LOT better than a standard adjustable collar that had to be kept tighter, and it shows a bit more now, too. Don't know if that helps or not :) .

Oh, and we usually only put it on her when we took her out of the house, but now that this one is more comfortable, we are working up to wearing it all the time, so if she gets out, she has our contact info regularly available. There have been several dogs show up around here, including a deaf one, who were reunited with their owners very quickly because they had a collar with info. And the deaf one (who was very friendly) went immediately into our backyard as soon as I saw "I'm deaf" on his collar. That was very helpful to know that no, his owner wasn't jogging just around the corner, that he was LOST and not to let go!

Last edited:
I can see my dogs collar...because she has no hair right now :p

Coco's collar is leather or suede, not sure. I like her collar to be pretty loose, as loose as possible without being able to slip off over her head. Snug collars bother her and she scratches at them more. Hers I believe is 3/4 inches wide, and pink, so against her black hair it is easy to see...for now!

Back