• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

MVD survey

AgilityLola

I would have posted this sooner but with all the sleepless nights and stress with Lola i forgot to post it.

After attending the Cavalier Health Day in November; my friend Rose and I found that though there was a substantial amount of statistics for Cavaliers who had a murmur by the age of 5 and then progressed to heart failure within a few years. But there wasn't any information on dogs that developed a murmur below and up to 5 years who then went on to live long lives of up to 14 years.

Therefore Rose and i have decided to conduct a survey, with the help of Virginia Fuentes from the RVC, to find out more information on the subject. Questions we would like to answer would be: age the murmur was first recorded, murmur grade, if medication was used, age of death and was the death linked to heart failure.

Also Christine Jenkins, who is a paediatrician, suggested that some heart murmurs in Cavaliers may not be linked to MVD but to stress, thyroid or blood pressure, as seen in some children. So we would like to collect information to see if the murmur always present in subsequent tests after diagnosed.

So we were wondering what the cavalier community thought of the survey, do you think it would be helpful? would you participate? We would also like to ask more questions, so does anyone have any suggestions? as the survey is still quite rusty lol.

Thanks,

Naomi and Rose

I do think this is a good idea, many breeders report this finding but the cardiologists seem unaware of it -as the dogs probably did not see a cardiologist.

I am aware of several dogs who belonged to a friend who developed early murmurs. never needed treatment and lived well into their teens. Some breeders feel it is a variation on MVD.

yes it will available worldwide :) we're planning to put it onto an online survey site so it will be easy to access. We've just got to get Dr Fuentes to check it, and then we will post it :) will keep everyone updated as to when we're making it public, eeek!!

Back