• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

15 minutes out of your day

Nicki

Is it really so hard to find 15 minutes out of your day to show your dog how much you care?

http://www.moderndogmagazine.com/articles/15-minutes-better-bond-your-dog/2719

Pet With Purpose Instead of zoning out watching TV and absentmindedly patting your pup, focus on your dog while you pet him. Like people, your dog can tell when he has your attention

Thanks to Cathy Moon for sharing this on Facebook :D

I am guilty of sitting on the laptop and petting whoever jumps up next to me without even really looking icon_blshing

I am guilty of sitting on the laptop and petting whoever jumps up next to me without even really looking icon_blshing

Well that's nowhere near as bad as all those awful people I regularly see walking their dog while talking to their mates on their mobile phones!
GrrrrrrEMAIL.jpg

I like this reminder! It also goes for human kids -- actually looking at them in the eye when they're talking to you. It's amazing how much more respect I can get from my kids if I literally look them in the eye. And don't they all deserve our attention, both furry and human?!

I am so glad that you raised this subject, as it has been bothering me for a long time now.

I live in the middle of a road on a small housing estate which has a triangular field at the end of it, where locals exercise their dogs. My computer is beside the window, so when I am up there I can't help noticing all the dog walkers go by and get really cross about the mobile 'phone users who pay scant attention to their dogs, let alone talk to them or let the poor dog stop and sniff all those wonderful scents which are all around them.

Then there are the walk with a friend brigade. They take their poor dogs out in twos, chatting and marching relentlessly along the road, used like some sort of excuse for having a gossip while they walk.

There are also the single walkers who wish they were anywhere but here and now and doing this, because they have no verbal contact with the dog or indeed any empathy with it, jerking the lead impatiently when a sniff or toilet stop is made.

I'm not holding myself up as a shining example of a dog owner, lord knows I've made some stupid mistakes over the years, but I do make a point of giving all the dogs quality time, where they know that at that moment they are the most important and beautiful thing in the world for me. It's as much boy time I can manage during the day, apart from Holly's special hug once she has had her eyes cleaned and medicated, then the girls have their special time mornings and evenings once the boys have gone to bed downstairs.

I do often wonder why people have dogs at all if they aren't prepared to enjoy quality time with them.

We seem to have so many special days designated to celebrate all kinds of things these days - why not start a 'Love Your Dog Day'?

One of the worst Ive seen is when the poor dog is tied to a buggy handle and dragged along with it. Only just last week I was driving and saw 2 people out pushing buggies, one had an elderly cavalier tied to the handle and was pushing along quite fast chatting to her friend while the poor dog was hardly able to keep up the pace. Worse still, when she stopped at the road to cross, the dog was left standing out on the road:yikes, she was just too busy talking to even notice:mad:Only when someone shouted from a car to take her dog off the road did she, and even then she just pulled the lead and jerked him in, still chatting at the same time

Last edited:
One of the worst Ive seen is when the poor dog is tied to a buggy handle and dragged along with it. Only just last week I was driving and saw 2 people out pushing buggies, one had an elderly cavalier tied to the handle and was pushing along quite fast chatting to her friend while the poor dog was hardly able to keep up the pace. Worse still, when she stopped at the road to cross, the dog was left standing out on the road:yikes, she was just too busy talking to even notice:mad:Only when someone shouted from a car to take her dog off the road did she, and even then she just pulled the lead and jerked him in, still chatting at the same time

I saw an dog on the road incident a while ago too Amanda.:mad: A woman was walking her large Boxer dog and her young child beside a busy main road with a shopping centre. She stopped to look in a shop window, the dog grew impatient and pulled at the lead, so she put the lead in the hand of the 2 or 3 years old child, telling them both to stay there. The dog pulled the child into the road and traffic swerved around them for a minute or two.

I was running towards them and almost had my hand on the lead to pull them both onto the pavement when the mother got hold of my shoulder and pushed me away. She pulled the little girl onto the pavement and then started whacking the dog quite hard. She even started swearing at the dog and called it a useless f..........animal who was trying to kill her child.

I did think of aiming a few well chosen words at the mother but thought it would be a wasted effort.:bang:

Back