• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Helpful SM video showing limb numbness

Zumie05

I have been researching SM a bit more lately in both dogs and people, to try to get a deeper understanding of it. I have viewed the sticky in this section showing the videos of affected Cavies, to help owners recognize symptoms. None showed limb numbness.

I found this one, thought it might be helpful. *edit* the beginning shows air scratching during a walk, the rest shows the dog feeling weird about his legs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xv23tQP4dDw

Last edited:
I'm not familiar with the limb numbness/ weakness symptom,so this was helpful to help me recognize.
I was wondering, if the sudden lifting of the front legs in the snow could be a sign of nerve pain as well?

Videos are so important but hard for me to watch. I think Ella has limb weakness but she doesn't scratch like that. She has hard time sitting without her legs sliding and trouble walking and climbing.

I have been really scared about that recently b/c of her recent decline. I should do more videos but she can't really sit without her legs sliding. Stairs really difficult.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Hey Anne! Are the floors slippery? Or does she have a hard time on any floor?
Are you sure the climbing is because of limb weakness or just pain?
I find the videos hard to watch myself... But I do want to know the truth and the facts...
As for The particular scratching seen on the video..;
when i first discovered Blondie had SM, it was because of that exact scratching.
She also held her front paw like that on two seperate occasions.
When we relieved her PSOM, and when she returned home from LIVS, that scratching never happened again. She does scratch a bit when home. (more when standing up. "air guitar" ) but not very often.
And as far as limb weakness; last time she was clear on the physical as well.
It just proved to me that SM symptoms CAN can be acute and/or episodical as well..

I'm not familiar with the limb numbness/ weakness symptom,so this was helpful to help me recognize.
I was wondering, if the sudden lifting of the front legs in the snow could be a sign of nerve pain as well?

I also thought the same thing...that maybe the dogs feet are just cold from the snow. But then I wondered, the dog would run off back into the snow and sniff around again normally.. Hard to say. I think the dogs legs were feeling tingly and he/she was confused and didn't really know what to make of the sensation...or maybe not.

Some symptoms of SM are weak limbs and numbness. In humans it has been reported that the hands and feet almost lose the ability to feel hot and cold, and that tingling and weakness is common.

I am still new to this, but trying to help!

I'd be interested in seeing how this dog behaves at home or in the summer. If those surfaces were salted that can be quite painful, and not related to the cold or SM. It could also explain why the dog kept running back to the snow for relief.

Guinness took one step on a salted surface as a puppy and started screaming. I picked him up, and where his paws touched my neck started burning, so I know it must have really hurt his feet. I kept a travel pack of baby wipes in my purse in case it happened again, but fortunately we didn't have that problem again.

The poor dog in the video though, he could barely walk on a leash he scratched so often! I hope I never have to see my own dog(s) in such pain.

The front paw thing, I have seen Blondie do it in the snow as well! She has done it about 3 times in her life, 2 of being in the snow and one on a hot summer day in the sand at the beach!!! I think it must have something to do with hot/cold nerve sensation. The first time she did it she was only 1 and I didnt know about SM untill she was 3 and 1/2... which is when she was diagnosed. The paw thing was unrelated to any other symptoms at the time, but I remembered thinking at the time "how strange".

Its actually not on snow but on hardwood floors. I asked Ella's neurologist and we have to discuss further. I think its because of location of her syrinx but others will know more. I asked about this in a thread from reading Clare's book.

She tucks paws in. Does bunny hop and I can't remember but neurologist explained more

I just read something on anaracavaliers.com/syringomyelia. I hope that's right but it really went into things like if you have them stand on hind legs (abnormal things) feet turned certain ways. Really interesting

One of Oliver's first symptoms (when he was almost 9) was stumbling on his right front leg - usually when he was tired coming back from a walk, and usually going up and down kerbs. He normally walks on it OK and very rarely stumbles now, though he has no nerve sensation in the leg and feels uncomfortable if he has to put his full weight on it for any length of time (when sitting, for example), and I have to trim his nails more often on that paw. But running round the park you wouldn't know he had a problem at all.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Riley also has trouble going up and down stairs, even one step is difficult for her sometimes. Luckily I live in a ranch house, so she only has one little step to come into the house from outside, but I do see her having trouble with that one sometimes. She also slides all the time when sitting on a hardwood floor whereas none of my other three do. Jumping is problematic for her because of weakness in her hind legs. She can't get the spring she needs and more often than not fails in her attempts. But she never stops trying. She will circle and circle until she gets up enough steam and then tries the jump, and then tries again, and then maybe she'll give up and I'll just pick her up.

I am so happy that Riley has never scratched. My heart was breaking for that poor dog in the video. The way he or she looked up at his/her owner was so sweet, but of course the owner was helpless like we all are. Thanks for the video Zumie.

Leo had limb weakness early on -- he can be quite floppy now, is the only way to describe it. Doesn't affect him running or jumping or on stairs, oddly, but does affect his balance -- he is desperate about trying to jump onto laps for example and will just fall off (and he doesn't land on his feet when he falls, but actually falls! :yikes

Daisy's symptoms are much different.She doesn't air scratch or bunny hop.
Her front right paw is turned at an angle and sometimes when climbing up one step onto the decking from the grass, she can mistime the jump and do a faceplant onto the deck.She has intermittent lameness on her rear hind leg as well.
Mostly when she's feeling off form,she just doesn't do anything at all.
Sins

This is why I think SM is so frustrating b/c so many do different things.

I know exactly about trying to jump. Ella will get down like she.us going to try real hard but usually falls. She pretty much gives up now. Puppy stairs I used for the couch that I once thought as a help is now mandatory. Without she has no way to make it.

She now has trouble going down and will sometimes stop frozen when I start to take her on walk. Living on 3rd floor will not be an issue next week. I am moving to a place where she can walk our without fear. On the first floor

I think watching her climb stairs way back 3 years ago was one if the first things I noticed.

Another one of Riley's unique symptoms that no one else really has mentioned is that she does the whole body shake many, many times a day with the end result always that she backs up a few steps and falls over, kind of floppy like Karlin said Leo is. She seems a little dazed for a moment and then picks herself up and goes on like nothing ever happened. Her balance has been so badly affected by the SM (although better controlled by prednisone) that she sometimes has to lean against something like a kitchen cabinet or a wall to walk so that she doesn't fall over.

I said I stay away from videos but now change it. I would like to see more and need to record Ella. Looks like Karlin updated symptoms videos since when I started journey which is more helpful with specific things.

Ella seems more like Tristan

Chamberlain has been scratching his neck more often. Usually first thing in the am and when I put a leash on to go for a walk. Or change out his collars. I think I am just being paranoid but I can't help it!

I can't check out the video at work but I will once I get home! Thanks for posting it!

Back