• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Problem Glands

SophieLightyear

I know there are quite a few topics on anal glands on here but yeah, i just had to post this in my own words to see what you lot think.
Well Benji was scooting his bum across the floor quite often, so we took him to the vets and had his anal glands emptied but since then he's been doing it more frequently. I don't know whether it's just because he likes doing it or because there's a problem with them. I've got him booked in on at the vets on Wednesday to have them looked at again, as when i called the vets they said it would be best if he went back in.
Sorry if you think i'm just saying something silly or something, but Benji is my first Cavalier.
So yeah, any tips on what might help or any insight would be greatly appreciated.

My Ruby had done this a few times, am going to ask the vet about it tomo when I go for her puppy party, she doesnt do it a lot tho but I have noticed it. Ruby is my first cavalier also and I am finding great helpful advice here so wont be long and Im sure someone will help.

Our Sophie has been having trouble with her glands also. I have taken her to the vet to have them emptied twice this month already. I tend to err on the safe side ever since she had an impacted gland 4 months ago. I asked for advice here and had wonderful replies!!!

Hi, have you tried putting some bran in her food (not breakfast cereal) ??

5369576569_9605549b6c.jpg

I'm a great fan of Burns food, which sells itself as being helpful to reduce anal gland problems. I wouldn't say they go away altogether, and it's important to be "gland aware" in case of serious blockage, but I spend a LOT less time at the vet now my four eat Burns.

This is their website, but you can find it in many pet shops now

http://burnspet.co.uk/

Has Benji been wormed lately? Worms can also cause scooting. I'd second Wagtails about Burns; both of mine hardly ever have a problem and only get their glands emptied about once a year. They have a raw chicken wing once a week, and have also decided they like to have half the shell with their twice weekly raw egg for breakfast! But it's all roughage that helps to keep the glands working properly.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I tried Burns and Oz just about stunk us out of house and home!!! :grnyuk: I had to change food. Hard to imagine such foul smells coming out of such a sweet looking little innocent fella! Didn't bother him though.

Thank you for all the suggestions. Benji went back to the vets last night and the vet said his glands were fine and that he'd most probably found a way of emptying them himself, which means his scooting is just because he enjoys it. The vet also didn't charge us for anything. So i'm hoping all will stay well with Benji, but i'll be keeping an eye on him.

Back