PDA

View Full Version : Lyrica & Anesthesia

Reptigirl
18th January 2011, 02:54 AM
We are setting up a new appointment to get Flash neutered since last month didn't work out with everything that happened. I am curious though... His neurologist at A & M said he is fine to get neutered. Will the Lyrica cause any reactions to the anesthesia they use? Or the pain medication they use? I didn't think to ask when I scheduled the appointment. I need to call in the morning and find out but I was wondering if anyone else has had to deal with this and what they do? I would hate to think of Flash having to miss a dose or two of his lyrica to get neutered.

Pat
18th January 2011, 05:29 PM
I don't think there should be a problem but I'd ask your vet and your neurologist to be sure.

When I took Holly's girl to be spayed, I gave her all of her scheduled SM meds (although she was on Gabapentin and not Lyrica). Anesthesia used was valium/ketamine and isoflurane. She was perfectly fine, but I gave her a tramadol that evening before bed.

Pat

Cathy Moon
19th January 2011, 12:41 AM
I was wondering about this too, since Geordie will be having a dental in the next few months. I think I'll email his neurologist at OSU when we're ready to schedule the dental.

Karlin
19th January 2011, 11:56 AM
I am quite sure it isn't an issue (for example Clare Rusbridge does not tell owners of dogs to withhold those drugs before a surgery or an MRI) but yes it is worth checking with the neurologist to be sure.

Reptigirl
19th January 2011, 08:54 PM
The neurologist finally called back today. She said it is okay to get him neutured and continue the medication as usual. Just to make sure the vet knows he is on the medication. He needs to be monitored a little more closely. I know I was reading somewhere online that people on Lyrica can have breathing difficulties when under general anesthesia.

I regret not neutering him before all the symptoms progressed to the point they are. Going to be a nervous wreck. Now to talk to my normal vet.