• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Sudden fear of his bowl =S

SophieLightyear

Okay, so it took a while at first but Benji finally found a dog food that he would happily eat every day and that agreed with him. However, all of a sudden he runs away from the dog bowl when i put the food down. I did sit and feed him a bit of the food off the fork and he did happily eat it but he still ran away when i tried to encourage him to eat from the bowl. I don't know if he's just being fussy because when i put some biscuits down for him, then he's straight in the bowl. :confused:

Sounds like he is trying to train you to feed him!!

Maybe something has happened though when he has been eating out of his bowl - a pan has been dropped or similar and has spooked him?

Some dogs just don't like eating out of a bowl as they can't see what's going on around them - maybe try a flat plate? With a biscuit he could lift it out to eat it.

I've had 2 dogs who wanted their bowl away from the wall so they could get between it and the bowl to eat. Rose is outgrowing it, but our boxer always pulled hers away from the wall, even with a pie plate for a bowl.

I think this is basically an evolutionary trait that doesn't make much sense for pets. In the wild if you've got a nice big carcass that you're eating, you are leaving yourself vulnerable and probably attracting lots of attention with all the smells of rotting meat (mmmm!). So being nervous and flighty during a meal makes makes sense.

In a house it just makes your puppy look silly.

Back