• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help...my babies were shaved by a highly recommended groomer.

Timmydog

don't know if any of you have any ideas on how to get hair to grow back faster. I had a groomer at my home yesterday, that my neighbor has used for years. the groomer has friends that show Cavaliers so she knows what they should look like. I sat with her for 45 minutes explaining what i wanted down. Only shave the belly and sanitary areas, and the pads. Trim very little of the skirt and do not touch the ears. Well i will provide before and after pictures of my babies. I hope the hair will come back. I have never in my life shaved a Cavalier do i hope i get the long nice hair back. My dogs don't even what to go out they feel naked.....Any suggestions would be great.....i am so sick to my stomach.....:mad:

Hi

Unfortunately not a lot but be extremely careful and if poss view some of her dogs ,does she travel around in one of those mobile groomers if so sorry not for me ,I have been caught once and now ultra careful .The lady I have used for years the first time I sat in to watch ,we go this Sat all four I leave them with Barbara at 9.30 am and they just might be ready around 4.00 pm total cost for all four is £125.00 but I now know her and trust her she used to breed spaniels and show at Crufts and when I say not a lot off pls check and check their glands ,ears and trim their claws and a Cav cut which means hardly anything of thats it .So unfortunately you have had your bad experaince which we all go through so next time research that bit more and a good groomer will cost you that bit more but when I see my four girls swishing thier tails in full glory on Sat it will be worth every penny .

I'm sorry that happened to you. I know it's easy for me to say, but try not to worry to much. Holly had her belly, entire back side and back legs shaved with her surgery. It's been three months and the fur is growing in nicely.

Depending on your climate, you may want to get sweaters for them to wear both inside and out. Their new haircuts might feel a bit chilly.

I have had Cavaliers for over 20 years, Aled is no.5, and not one of them has ever been near a groomer. I have a pair of trimming scissors to trim their paws, clippers for their nails, they have never needed to be stripped because they were too hot in the summer, and they get bathed under the shower about 3 times a year, or before a show. The two I have shown have done quite well with no more preparation than this - plus a good brush 3 or 4 times a week, good food and plenty of exercise. We could have two weeks' holiday in our tent for the cost of a trip to a groomer's, and I know which we prefer!

But don't worry - only illness stops a Cavalier's hair from growing!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Here in the South African summer it gets very very hot and the dogs take some strain. Tyla who have MVD gets shaved at the beginning of summer. It is more healthy and less strain on her heart if she does not get too hot.

By the next year her coat has grown back to it's full glory. I must say, she acts like a real puppy once she is shaved ... seems to really enjoy it. A little while ago I had Megan shaved as well .. she has PSOM and was very uncomfortable during a recent heat wave we had and she appeared much more relaxed being cooler.

I know quite a few owners, who if there dogs are not show dogs also shave them during summer. The coat and ears always grow back beautifully, so don't worry, it will take a little while but your cav will look as good as new soon!

I had a neutered cavalier, he was clipped 2 times a year, he had just undercoat and looked like a sheep.

I've had a similar experience. I took Lexie in to get groomed about 8 months ago and I specifically said NO SCISSORS. I just wanted her washed and blown out. What did they do? They gave her a Cocker cut, trimmed her ears into a square and shaved her beautiful leg and paw fringe. I flipped out on them... it was horrible. Luckily everything grew back in a few months and now you'd never know. The sad part is every time my mom takes her male Cav in to get groomed and specifically requests no cutting, they give him a cocker cut. She's a mom of 6 so she really doesn't have time to complain or care haha but it's so frustrating when you specifically ask for something and they don't listen.

We found a really great place here that is a self groomers. It has EVERYTHING you could ever need plus it's great bonding time with the dogs. Especially my Lexie since she LOVES a bath.

Sorry about your babies but they'll grow back and be fluffy in no time :)

I think most people have this happen. Ella has lost her "dr seuss" paws but it grows back. I agree with ddavis and ella acts like a puppy too.

I have seen a cavalier with a shaved tail and they thought ella looked funny :)

With ella scratching and licking she gets mats really easy so I have her coat much shorter but if it makes her feel better with her health issues, I can sacrifice beauty. Her true beauty is her heart.

It will definately grow back so I would rest easy and know to find another groomer.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

In the future make sure the groomer writes down your requests, and gives you copy in his/her handwriting. Snap a "before" picture, don't pay until you have seen that your dog was groomed properly. If there are any disputes you will have evidence of what your dog looked like before, and that your groomer was aware of what you wanted.

Oh boy, i left Blondie with a friend once who took her to Petco for a trim.
They gave her a "puppy trim"
Hair short, cut of all the hair on the legs and her ears looked like a 5 year old's "bob". It was pretty funny actually.

We get elvis coat taken right down about twice a year he has sm and it seems like as soon as his hair gets anyway long his symptoms worsen and he gets extremely uncomfortable.

I do love cavaliers with longer hair but elvis hair grows so quick it's unbelievable! His hair was last cut in November and already it has grown back so much his grinch paws have returned!

It must be horrible if it's cut when you don't want it to be that short but it will grow back probably quicker than you think!!

I have seen rescues shaved down and their hair has grown back beautifully.

It is hard finding a good groomer of Cavaliers. I have been going to mine for several years - the first time I brought a typed list with specific instructions of what can be cut and what cannot. It worked for me. Sounds like you tried to be specific too. I wonder if there was an assistant groomer who did the actual work and not the person you talked to? Sounds like something definitely got lost in translation.

Sorry it happened, but I'm sure your Cavalier's gorgeous hair will grow back in time

As others have said, think this happens to us all.... once! My groomer has to cut Willow's ears quite short as my pack run wild through the woods & fields and ears are covered in tats no matter what I do. I leave in a beautiful in proportion Cavalier and get back a fat jack russell :rolleyes:

I agree with Kate, I think in view of the potential problems and discomfort these dogs are prone to, it might be a good idea to learn how to do it yourself. You are more in tune with your dog than a stranger is. I give mine a good brush 3/4 times a week, Dougalls grows a lot of furry bits between his toes, because he holds still in the bath I deal with all of those problems and trimming there. For trimming little bits and bobs, I use baby curved scissors from the chemist. I get in the shower with them about twice per year :p

I sometimes use waterless shampoo, which is brilliant.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/search?search=waterless+shampoo

i completely understand the shock it was for you:

bentley after his 1st trip to thr groomers:

049-1.jpg

but dont wory too much, bentley fur grew back pretty quick and im happy to report no harm done. his fur is as shiny and glossy as before:

023-2.jpg

though when he was in the inbetween stage i think he was a bit embarrassed to how himself:

003-7.jpg

:rolleyes:

Back