• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Symptoms Of Pain - What To Look For and How To Recognize

Brian M

Hi

Having four young ladies and a few problems of late I would like to ask for guidance on Cavaliers in pain ,so apart from the obvious examples of a living creature being in pain and visibly suffering and taking into account their stoical nature and the different characters of each individual what are the subtle signs one should observe to help stop them suffering in silence .

Your guidance and advice would be appreciated as unfortunately like all Cavalier owners I tend to watch them consistently for any undue movement or developing habits apart from of course the obvious yelps of pain which thankfully so far have been few .I always think that of course these beautiful dogs cannot speak or write so their eyes and body movement are their only way of communication so I would not want to miss any signs of help they may be trying to ask us for .

Our girl is a very happy normal little dog and never (help, shouldn't say this!) has been to the vets apart from boosters.

About a week ago, we put her to bed as normal, but she was scratching the door, very unusual. She didn't want to go out to do anything, but came and sat on my knee and looked me straight in the eyes, staring at me. I could tell she was trying to communicate something, there was just something in the intensity of her look, and that her behaviour was very out of character. and I think these kind of things are a way you can pick up.

In the end I think she must have just had a bad tummy ache and didn't want to be left on her own, as I sat with her for an hour, then tried to put her to bed again, but she wouldn't have it. After another hour she relaxed totally and was happy to go to bed for her kip.

I was dead on my feet! can't do with missing my zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

This can be a difficult one Brian, as you say they can not talk to us. I have been through this with my Jasper the last few days, his signs were body movement, being very quiet and not be able to settle and not knowing what to do with his self and wanting his own space and his expression on his little face, we never want to see are animals suffering so it`s really hard, but of course in Jasper`s case with colitis, blood in his stools, I was very worried about this as he had never had colitis before. This week also I had been to a friend who has a 13 year old dog who was poorly, panting a lot, generally not settling and did`nt want to lay down, and trembling, she made a urgent appointment at the vet, she thought it was the dogs tummy, but it turned out the dog had a mouth infection and was told the trembling was because of arthritis, which the dog has had problems with recently, and was given an injection for this. Each dog is different, I get a bit anxious when I see them scratching, especially my little one.

When Oliver has a headache he groans in his sleep (definite groaning, quite different from snoring) and moves from bed to floor and back. No groans, thank goodness, since we increased his gabapentin to three times a day. When the sun affects his eyes, they sink in his head, he half-closes his eyes and frowns - and looks exactly like we would with a splitting headache!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hi

This is what Molly (sm) does when she is feeling pain. Smacks her lips a lot, head is lowered, eyes are not as bright, generally very quiet and tucks herself away. When I arrive home, she always brings me a present, if she is feeling pain she doesn't bother.

Dougall (cm), sleeps a lot, head down, quiet and generally floppy when you pick him up., If his back is bad he tucks his bottom under and sits with all four feet in front, also his back spasms if you touch if you touch it. He is being treated for this though.

Both dogs will lower their head if they think you are going to stroke it.

Both dogs are on the same medication. :(

He doesn't bother with his ball if he is feeling low..

You have to imagine what you would want to do if you have a bad headache or a terrible pain.

whenever my daisy gets an upset tummy and it gurgles, she gets what we call 'the little head, big eyes' as she just looks at you till you pick her up and wants to be with you till bedtime(whats new). thankfully it doesn't happen very often, so i agree with davecav, she just looks at you till you get the message!

blondie (SM) is quiet and sleepy when she has headaches.
When her ears bother her (PSOM) she scratches "into" them and groans while doing it and sighs at the same time.

Brian you have 4 beautiful girls. Someome sent me a great chart or something with information on this specific question.

I will email it to you but I think it might be helpful for everyone. I personally can see it in ellas eyes.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I emailed the wrong thing and I'm looking for it again. Really good stuff

Found it! I just emailed it to tania (pass on to brian) and to lynn (blondiemaster)

Goes into vocalizing, daily habits, activity level, facial expressions, posture. Pretty detailed but in a good way

Back