• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Frightening News....

vgaffney83

We've just heard from Lucky's sisters owner. She's been diagnosed with SM via MRI scan.

What does this mean for Lucky, litter born 5/2008 and for Little Lady born 1/2010 but has the same mom and dad as Lucky's litter with the SM positive sister!?!?! I'm somewhat freaking out right now!

We've just heard from Lucky's sisters owner. She's been diagnosed with SM via MRI scan.

What does this mean for Lucky, litter born 5/2008 and for Little Lady born 1/2010 but has the same mom and dad as Lucky's litter with the SM positive sister!?!?! I'm somewhat freaking out right now!

It does not necessarily mean that Lucky or Little Lady will have SM at the same age. It is possible for a litter of cavalier puppies to have some affected and some unaffected cavaliers in it.

I will try and explain as best I can, although SM is a very complex condition, and there is so many unknowns still.
Forgive me if you already know most of what I am saying but there may be newcomers reading that will find an explanation helpful.

The truth that we all have to face is that nowadays most of our cavaliers will develop SM before they die.

MRIs of older cavaliers show that very few are clear of SM, even dogs scanned clear at a younger age. Not many of our dogs will reach old age without developing SM, although some will never show obvious symptoms.

Some cavaliers will have a pocket of fluid in their spine, destroying nerve tissue, from a very young age. They may show obvious SM symptoms or they may seem pain free, depending where the syrinx is located and its width, which is why only a MRI scan can show for sure whether a cavalier is affected.

Some cavaliers will not develop SM until they are 2-3 years old, some will not have a syrinx until they are middle aged.
Again they may or may not show symptoms, and any symptoms they do have may or may not be recognised by the owner.

Your little dogs are okay at the moment, they may be truly lucky and remain that way for the rest of their life. You obviously would prefer not to have such upsetting news about their sister, and there is not a lot that anyone can say to make you feel better.

They are still the same little dogs, try not to let worry spoil your joy in them.

Will keep Lucky in my prayers... I know how you feel

I cried for 2 hours on Sunday when I first found out about some of the symptoms of SM... only to find out that some of it is not really evidence at all. But we never know. So sorry you are going through this fright.

Thanks for the comments....I guess I just thought it would never happen to our litter! I'll let you know as it all progresses. Thanks!!

Margaret explained really well. I would focus on enjoying them but its always good to know what to look for and that's for anyone.

Ella was one of the unlucky ones but I hope for others that she was the only one in litter to have severe SM or with symptoms.

It is complex but all I can say is to enjoy the time especially if they show no symptoms because being scared of not knowing future can ruin the joy you should have. I have to say that to myself also :) post some pictures! I love pictures

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Victoria, so sorry to hear that about his sister. I agree with the others and I find myself looking at Chelsea all the time wondering if I will see signs in her.

I hope to see you and your two soon.

Back