• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM and Acting weird in snow?

Blondiemonster

Any of you have dogs with SM that act funny when their feet are in the snow?
This morning Blondie was superexcited for her walk. It snowed quiet a bit last night but I took her out. At first were walking on mostly concrete and everything is fine, she poops in the snows (which she loves! :) ) and everything is fine, until we get to a long patch of snow. All of a sudden in the middle of it she lifts her hindleg up and seems to be freaking out, she didn't seem to know what was going on, after which she starts running as fast as she can all crazy as is if she is trying to "get rid" of something by running. While she's running though she still seems uncomfortable on her legs.
We come home and she runs onto the stairs two at a time really fast as if still trying to get rid of something. At home after a few minutes it settles and everything goes back to normal.
I was wondering if the cold trigger nerve sensations? Pins and needles? Not sure....
Anyone out there has experienced something similar?

I noticed something with ella having problems with the snow but it never snows her so I thought it was because of it being something different to her

Ella does not like her feet touched. I know I have had someone say they give tramadol when clipping toe nails. She always tucks especial on paw under. I know that they can be extremely sensitive with touch. I don't know if it was in the pde part where dr. Rusbridge said this or somewhere else, but about people saying even a collar of a shirt being painful.

So it might be the extra sensitivity they can feel but of course several people know more about the clinical stuff.

I'm sorry it hurt her

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Jack's feet get sensitive in the snow too. He loves it but if he walks in it for too long he will start crying and holding his paws up as if he was injured. The first time this happened I thought he got salt on his paws (so much salting in NYC) however he has done this with fresh snow too. Now he wears those rubber disposable boots called "Pawz" to keep his feet protected and he can walk in the snow for hours with no issues. FYI: If you do try them, get the size larger than indicated so they are easier to get on and don't pinch the hairs. Jack wears size small which only come in red; it's quite a site;he looks like he has 4 red boxing mitts on :p. I always get comments on them but, whatever keeps him happy I'll do.

Last edited:
Can you please post a picture of Jack in his shoes!

I don't think or I really hope we will get more snow but I wondered about shoes when we did have snow

It said its private so I can't see :(

Just heard the news say it might snow again! What is going on? Maybe I should get some pawz

Only thing I noted was Dylan wanted to be in the garden as often as possible, he has a very heavy coat and loves being cool!

Luckily snow doesn't seem to bother Riley's paws. She will stay out sometimes until I call her back in (we have a fenced in yard). I guess her paws are not really sensitive since she can have her nails trimmed without a problem. Oz, who has CM but no SM documented by MRI, is much more sensitive around his paws.

Jack looks so cute with his Pawz on. I would love to try them, but I can't imagine putting 16 of them on every time my dogs want to go out!!

Luckily snow doesn't seem to bother Riley's paws. She will stay out sometimes until I call her back in (we have a fenced in yard). I guess her paws are not really sensitive since she can have her nails trimmed without a problem. Oz, who has CM but no SM documented by MRI, is much more sensitive around his paws.

Jack looks so cute with his Pawz on. I would love to try them, but I can't imagine putting 16 of them on every time my dogs want to go out!!

SO intereting you mentioned that! Irenes jack also only has a pre-syrinx and shows the same sensitivity on the feet. But mine has SM and has the sensitivtiy to the feet. So not sure if that kind of feet sensitivity it's related to the syrinx or to the CM.
We went outside in the snow again and it happened again this morning , to a lesser extent. Im gonna have to get Jack's boots. He is sooooo beautiful your little jack, Irene!!!!!!

Any of you have dogs with SM that act funny when their feet are in the snow?
This morning Blondie was superexcited for her walk. It snowed quiet a bit last night but I took her out. At first were walking on mostly concrete and everything is fine, she poops in the snows (which she loves! :) ) and everything is fine, until we get to a long patch of snow. All of a sudden in the middle of it she lifts her hindleg up and seems to be freaking out, she didn't seem to know what was going on, after which she starts running as fast as she can all crazy as is if she is trying to "get rid" of something by running. While she's running though she still seems uncomfortable on her legs.
We come home and she runs onto the stairs two at a time really fast as if still trying to get rid of something. At home after a few minutes it settles and everything goes back to normal.
I was wondering if the cold trigger nerve sensations? Pins and needles? Not sure....
Anyone out there has experienced something similar?
Every dog I've ever owned has done this when his/her feet get too cold, and it's definitely painful for them when that happens. I limit their time outside when the temperature is below freezing. As soon as you see the foot lifting start, it's best to carry the dog inside.

That's a good point Cathy. I knew to be careful of paws on hot asphalt etc but probably they are sensitive anyway

Would you like to walk in snow barefoot? Not me poor babies

This morning it was 2 degrees F, and the dogs came inside immediately after doing #1. I almost had to carry India in. It's very hard on their feet.

I bought boots for them a few years ago, but it is difficult to get the boots on their feet. I wish I had spent more time trying to determine the right sizes for them!

Thanks Cathy. That's actually comforting to know. The same thing happened at the beach one day on a hot summer day. I thought them something got stuck in her foot but now I realize the sand must've been too hot!!!

Oh the heat on pavement can be terrible, too; on hot sunny days, I put my hand on the pavement to see if it's burning hot before I let them walk on it. Sand does get burning hot.

Back