• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Miley has symptoms of SM

Miley

Miley hasn't got fleas, but she scratches behind her ears a lot.
She also does this thing which looks like a seizure, where she drops on her side and starts kicking her legs and rubbing her face and body on the floor, or a chair (where ever she is). If I call her name she stops right away though.

Other than that she seems like she is comfortable and not in any pain. Should I just leave it and keep and eye on her?

Mmmm... those are symptoms of SM, but could also be due to other things.
Have u checked for earmites? Also , PSOM is something that causes similar symptoms. YOu could find a neurologist in your area if u have ruled out ear mites and get a clinical evaluation. (y)

Mmmm... those are symptoms of SM, but could also be due to other things.
Have u checked for earmites? Also , PSOM is something that causes similar symptoms. YOu could find a neurologist in your area if u have ruled out ear mites and get a clinical evaluation. (y)

I agree, rule out earmites then go see a neurologist. It is worth looking into. I hope its something that is easily treated

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

Thanks for your replies.
She hasn't got any ear mites, so I am taking her to get tested for SM.

I doubt that's a seizure, it just sounds like she is rubbing herself on the floor (a seizing dog would not stop and come when called (y)). All my dogs do this including two that scanned clear for SM at age 6 and 9. The elderly clear dog loves to do this after meals and walks and clearly enjoys a good roll to scratch her sides and back. :) I think this type of rubbing really needs to be considered the least suggestive symptom of SM as it is so common in many perfectly normal dogs of all breeds (and SM rubbling is fairly distinctive and generally shows distress and the dog normally will NOT stop when called). There are other clinical signs a neurologist can check for that would be more indicative of SM.

There are so many reasons a dog would scratch at its ears that you really need to eliminate a range of possibilities (including perhaps a CT scan for PSOM). If you and your vet continue to be concerned, then schedule an appointment with a neurologist who will advise on whether testing for SM is recommended. Testing however means an MRI so you are looking at probably over £1000 to do this.

There are lots of videos on www.smcavalier.com that might help you determine whether you are seeing possible SM.

Back