• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

insurance

nicola

Can anyone recommend an appropriate insurance policy in the UK? I am also wondering what happens to your policy premium when you go to renew it and your dog has been diagnosed with ie.SM and treatment is ongoing? Are there any policies that protect the premium from going up if an animal is diagnosed with a chronic condition? Whats to stop an insurance company from hiking up policy premiums on renewal once an animal has been diagnosed and doesnt this defeat the purpose of insurance in the first place?

Hate to tell you, but your premium goes up at renewal whether you make a claim or not. My boy's renewal was 30% higher premium than the first year, and I made ZERO claims during the year I had it. He has never been diagnosed with anything. I dropped the policy. It's a business, and their goal is to make money.

Pat

Oh my, that is quite a hike in premiums. Did you call and ask them about it? Do you mind me asking what insurance you have?

This is the first time I've considered pet insurance, but with all the issues that Cav's can have, I am seriously considering it. The one I'm close to purchasing is PetPlan. I don't know if they are in the UK or not.

I'd love to hear from others that have insurance, how long they've had it, what their coverage is, and are they happy (and has it been going up and up and up)?

It was PetPlan, which I believe has the best coverage in the US. They told me when I purchased the policy that premiums would increase by about 10% each year due to inflation and the rising age of the dog. That did not seem unreasonable. They said that increases would not be based on claims. I am extremely anal and read all of the fine print and questioned a company rep on many aspects of the coverage when I purchased the policy.

At renewal time last November, I phoned to ask about the 30% hike (with no claims made ever) and I was told (as were others) that it was because Petplan had changed underwriters. (It seems likely that they were dropped by their original underwriter.) I ran a spreadsheet for my dog up to age 14 and added up all the yearly premiums, and the total was rather staggering. It is extremely unlikely that I'll spend that much on his health expenses so I dropped the policy. He was 7 years old when I purchased the plan - heart clear and no health problems. And now he is 8 years old and heart clear with no health problems.

When I adopted a young Cavalier off the street last year I immediately insured her also with PetPlan. Her renewal is in April, and it will be interesting to see if her increase is as much since she is much younger. Again I have made no claims. If her increase is that much, I'll likely drop her plan also.

I think the happy people are those that have made big claims!

Pat

I have mentioned this but pet plan is one I think paid 70% of MRI and also surgery for SM.

Some people say don't bother with pet insurance but with Cavaliers I would recommend getting pet plan since it covers heridtaty conditions. If you have a puppy I would really look into it.

Even though I have one I do not suggest b/c breed specific conditions are not covered, I am glad I had it when Ella got bit by a dog. They couldn't tell me that was excluded but almost every other claim I have to fight because they blame things on SM.

I heard pet plan was owned by someone with Cavaliers..

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

I think the happy people are those that have made big claims!

Pat

I do agree. We have been reimbursed several thousand with Flash's policy. I see lots of bad reviews for our company about premium increases but we pay $35 a month right NOW. Flash's monthly medication is up to $69 at the moment. They pay 90%. They don't cover office visits or routine care. Even if they increased our premium to $70-$80 a month it would still be worth it for us due to the life long expenses we will be incurring.

They were great when we added the 2 new puppy mill rescues. They did not require any testing or prior exams. Already covered some minor things. They didn't cover the pre-existing teeth and all the routine care they needed but I look forward to them covering any future issues. We are paying $41 each with the adult Cavaliers with no known medical history.

God, I really should call Petplan. I'm with Embrace right now, and I pay a staggering 64 dollars in my first year. (does include meds and dental) ,
The SM was pre-existing, but still, when I hear about the 34 you pay for flash. thats a big difference!!!!!!! When you switch insurance, do u have to do the whole blah blah again? Calling the vets to send medical files over etc..?
Or can you ask your former insurance to hand them over to the new one?

Flash's insurance sounds a lot like Jack's insurance which is Trupanion. I have had it for 2 years with no increase in premiums. I pay ~44 per month. No deductible and covers 90% of the actual bill minus office visit cost. Does not cover anything routine. However well worth it for me as it has covered 90% of MRI, spinal tap and 150 in monthly meds. They do consider any documented info pre existing as I tried to switch my cat to them. She is 7 yrs old and has IBS and was on VPI (Crappy insurance IMO) and they said they would not cover anything related to her digestive system because it was "pre-existing" so I am forced to stay with VPI for her. I wish I had known about trupanion when she was a kitten.

@Blondie's mom- Trupanion will ask for all prior vet records for your first claim so I don't think it will be worth it for Blondie being that she already has SM documented:(. Not sure what the other insurances require.

Okay, I am sooo confused.

Anne, are you saying you wouldn't do pet insurance because it doesn't cover breed specific coverage? Because from what I can see, Petplan DOES cover this. Maybe I'm crazy. Oh boy, need to go back and read everything. Also, I really should call and talk to someone.

Am I wrong? I know a couple of you have it. From what I've seen, it seems the best one out there

Weird, my coverage was over $40 for Claire. She'll be one in two weeks. And doesn't have anything reexisting, and this can be confirmed by my Vets office.

Maybe the $34 was the $8000 max a year and 80% coverage. I was thinking of going with the $12,000 and 90%. I need to look again. It was only a few dollars a month difference. Also, I know it depended on how you paid, monthly quarterly or yearly.

And it does seem like when I was reading about them, that the CEO, or President or something, has pictures with her Cav's.

Flash's insurance sounds a lot like Jack's insurance which is Trupanion. I have had it for 2 years with no increase in premiums. I pay ~44 per month. No deductible and covers 90% of the actual bill minus office visit cost. Does not cover anything routine. However well worth it for me as it has covered 90% of MRI, spinal tap and 150 in monthly meds. They do consider any documented info pre existing as I tried to switch my cat to them. She is 7 yrs old and has IBS and was on VPI (Crappy insurance IMO) and they said they would not cover anything related to her digestive system because it was "pre-existing" so I am forced to stay with VPI for her. I wish I had known about trupanion when she was a kitten.

@Blondie's mom- Trupanion will ask for all prior vet records for your first claim so I don't think it will be worth it for Blondie being that she already has SM documented:(. Not sure what the other insurances require.

Yes, all of my Cavaliers are on Trupanion. We have $0 deductible, no annual max amount, no max amount per condition and no lifetime max. They do cover breed specific conditions as long as it does not show up before enrollment or during the 30 day wait. I have to say I am REALLY happy with them. Great customer serious too! You can reach someone 24 hours a day.

Okay, I have to go look into them too. I don't remember seeing them when I was looking. I was told not to do VPI, and another one, can't remember the name.

Off to look again in a few minutes.

Back