• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Heavy Tartar on Teeth

Cathy Moon

India just had another dental cleaning recently, and the vet told us she had heavy tartar/calculus on her teeth. He said we really need to brush her teeth daily and suggested we give her these tartar shield chews:
https://www.tartarshield.com/product_details.asp?id=24

He gave us free samples of the chews, and she likes them. Her teeth are staying clean so far. I bought two boxes at the vets today.

It's strange to me that both Geordie and Chocolate have such clean teeth, while India can have two dentals at the vet in one year, and it is hard to keep her teeth clean and free of tartar. The dental vet says this is hereditary, and dogs are just like people - some people have difficulty with their teeth while others do not.

The vet told us he can tell which dogs eat kibble and which eat canned food. He said kibble keeps their teeth cleaner. I forgot to ask him about raw diets and teeth, but in my own experience I thought India's teeth were cleaner on a raw diet (but that is too expensive right now for us).

You are right, it is a genetic issue, even between litter mates there can be differences.

Neem chews are very good at keeping teeth clean but a bit dear [not to be used for breeding dogs]

I find this really good too and with time and gentle introduction, most dogs accept it http://www.lintbells.com/online-store/8/antibacterial-toothcleaner

If you want to go the homoeopathic route, Fragaria is very good - you just add one tablet to their water bowl every day for a month, then every day for a week of each month [write it on the clendar]. I found this softened the tartar making it easy to remove with a toothbrush or scraper. A recommended supplier is www.gentletouchremedies. co.uk who do ship internationally.

Dental care is SO important, especially as they get old, I know you are aware of this (y), as the bacteria can have a devastating effect on the heart.

I had the same problem with my last cav Sam. He had so many dentals it wasn't funny. I have put my two on a raw meaty bone diet as well as their kibble and so far so good. It is less expensive too. My butcher gives me 6 chicken frames for free which is great and my two love them. I also put pet kiss in their water which is supposed to keep their teeth clean too. You can buy it at the pet shop.

Jake and Shelby are getting dentals next month and I am going to have to be more vigilant about brushing teeth. At 8 years old Jake's teeth look pretty darn good but Shelby has heavy tartar on hers.

Mindy had terrible teeth. The vet suggested that she have a dental at two but after nearly losing her after her spay I was too freaked out to allow her to go under an anesthetic again (for the record her problems with her spay had nothing to do with the anesthetic so it really was an irrational fear). She ended up having to have half of her teeth out at one point or another. I do try and brush Max and Rylie's teeth regularly (once or twice a week but not daily) and they get chew toys and antlers. Rylie eats 100% kibble at the moment and Max has 1/2 kibble and 1/2 home cooked.

Max was just at the vet for his annual check up and the vet commented on how pearly white his teeth were so either it's genetics or I'm doing a good enough job with brushing.

My regular vet has been reluctant to put Riley under general anesthesia for her dental since she had problems with the anesthesia after her MRI and her decompression surgery. Her vet has done some hand scaling on her but she has not had a complete dental since before her surgery 2 years ago. A vet finally joined her neurologist's practice so that she can be put under anesthesia and if she has problems her neurologist will be right there. She is having her dental within the next two weeks. She also has a ton of tartar and the dentist also recommended the Tartar Shield chews, which of course all four of mine loved. I bought some on line. I will also start being more diligent at brushing her teeth after her dental.

About a week after India's dental cleaning, we made an evening appointment with the dentistry vet in order to have him show us how to brush her teeth properly. He had previously looked at the Sesame Street human toddler toothbrushes I bought, and he said to replace them with even softer brushes.

We ended up buying Oral B Winnie the Pooh extra soft toddler toothbrushes. The vet was much more thorough brushing India's teeth than I have ever been, and he used a lot of our Virbac poultry flavored toothpaste while doing it.

So what I've learned from this is that I was haphazardly brushing her teeth and not refilling the brush with more toothpaste often enough.

Now I'm putting as much effort into brushing her teeth as when I brush my own!

I have always used Four Paws Dental Rinse that goes in the water bowl for my Shepard & Flash. My Shepard is 7 and has white teeth. She has never had a dental cleaning and I RARELY brush her teeth.

Recently my vet sent home a product called C.E.T Oral Hygiene Rinse for the two rescues. I was told to use it twice daily. She said it would do a number on their remaining teeth and make the dental much easier for her. WOW! It worked! I have been using it for less then 2 weeks. I try to brush there teeth 2-3 times a week. I have also been giving Pedigree dentastix daily for the last 2 weeks. I would say it took over 80% of the hard nasty black plague off! They still need teeth pulled and a little cleaning but it made them look SO much better FAST!

Here is the link to the C.E.T. Rinse. I got mine from the vet at $24.99 but it seems to be for sale online for cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/CET-Oral-Hygiene-Rinse-applicator/dp/B000FULD1A

Recently my vet sent home a product called C.E.T Oral Hygiene Rinse for the two rescues. I was told to use it twice daily. She said it would do a number on their remaining teeth and make the dental much easier for her. WOW! It worked! I have been using it for less then 2 weeks. I try to brush there teeth 2-3 times a week. I have also been giving Pedigree dentastix daily for the last 2 weeks. I would say it took over 80% of the hard nasty black plague off! They still need teeth pulled and a little cleaning but it made them look SO much better FAST!

Here is the link to the C.E.T. Rinse. I got mine from the vet at $24.99 but it seems to be for sale online for cheaper.
http://www.amazon.com/CET-Oral-Hygiene-Rinse-applicator/dp/B000FULD1A

Wow, that's a good testimonial!! Lucky and Sparky just had dentals so I will buy this and see how it works.

We do use C.E.T dental chews and toothpaste, but I had no idea the rinse was so good. :)

Cathy, how do your dogs' tummies do with the Tarter Sheild chews? is it cut up raw hide treat with little pieces of rawhide that they swallow? Mine have such sensitive stomachs, I worry about anything they they actually ingest. The C.E.T. chews are rawhide pieces and I let them chew on them until they get soft and slobbery, figuring they got all the C.E.T. enzymatic coating off of them.

Riley's new dentist also recommended Healthy Mouth, a supplement that you add to their drinking water to reduce plaque. It can be purchased on-line at www.healthymouth.com She also said to look for products that carry the VOHC (Veterinary Oral Health Council) seal of acceptance.

Just thought I would show the comparison before & after the C.E.T Oral Rinse

This is the males teeth before. ALL had the heavy nasty brown buildup. You could hardly see actual TEETH.

maleteeth1.jpg

This is with 2 WEEKS of the C.E.T. Rinse, pedigree dentastix and occasional ( 1 or 2 times a week) brushing. He was also on antibiotics but I don't think that would have anything to do with the tarter chipping off.
DSCN2272.jpg

Oh my gosh, that is amazing TWO weeks! Wow. My older dog (non Cavalier) has had problems with his teeth for quite a few years. He's diabetic, and blind, and you just can't brush his teeth. But, if the rinse (you said this is put into their water, correct) works and the Dentastix, I'm going to try them. I hope he'll eat the Dentastix, he's so funny about things.

The normal Four Paws Rinse I use goes in the water but the C.E.T rinse my vet gave me comes in a niffty little bottle with an applicator making it easy to squeeze on their teeth. My dogs like the taste (after they had a second to get used to it.) Everyone actually tries to get to the bottle at the same time now when I pull it out. LOL

No idea if the Dentastix actually helped but everyone here enjoyed them as treats. I got my hands on a bunch of $2 off coupons and the local target had them on sale for $2.99 so I figured for only $0.99 a pack it was worth a shot.

Back