• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another Meat Source

Brian M

Hi

I am thinking of ordering from these people

http://www.abelandcole.co.uk

Some venison ,buffalo and chiken livers which are supposed to be a super food ,I intend freezing all for four weeks then feeding raw of course but only in my normal amounts of 50 gr per meal per Cav.
Anybody any reasons I should not ,cooking and me dont go together.

No reason not to feed those foods that I'm aware of (other than price, your girls aren't half spoiled! :p). You can buy small pots of frozen chicken livers in Tesco (in the meat section of the freezer) - will probably work out cheaper (y)

I have not read of any reason, in my research online, as to why you cannot feed those meats raw. Our Sophie hates raw liver (slimy consistency I guess) and the faces she made over goat meat were funny. She has refused to eat both.

Hello

And thank you ladies ,this shows just what a plonker I am I never even thought that you could get Chicken Livers from Tesco / Salisbury's so I shall look now .With the Chicken Livers is it OK to feed them raw all sloppy and slimey ,I shall only give a max of 50 gr per meal and probably only once or twice a week just to give them a bit more variance in their foods .

Hi

I am thinking of ordering from these people

http://www.abelandcole.co.uk

Some venison ,buffalo and chiken livers which are supposed to be a super food ,I intend freezing all for four weeks then feeding raw of course but only in my normal amounts of 50 gr per meal per Cav.
Anybody any reasons I should not ,cooking and me dont go together.

Able and Cole only source their meet ethically and are an excellent place to obtain food. (y)

Hello

And thank you ladies ,this shows just what a plonker I am I never even thought that you could get Chicken Livers from Tesco / Salisbury's so I shall look now .With the Chicken Livers is it OK to feed them raw all sloppy and slimey ,I shall only give a max of 50 gr per meal and probably only once or twice a week just to give them a bit more variance in their foods .

I wouldn't give too much liver in one meal, can have disasterous effects :roll: but yes, raw is fine - assuming they will eat it! (ours love it and the consistency doesn't seem to bother them!)

Hi Ladies

Would 50 gramme per meal per dog say once a week fed raw with their assortment of veggies ,corn on cob ,whitebait ,cream cheese ,coat yogurt and other bits and bobs be ok .
I hate to say I did not do cookery at school but I do a good bowl of cornflakes and slightly burnt toast .;)

Brian - I am sure there is some expert out there who knows more than I do, but I understand that organ meats should be 10% of the diet.

Have you given the girls raw/green tripe? Our Sophie loves the stuff. I buy the canned tripe and add it when I remember. Apparently it is supposed to be really good for dogs. It does have a bit of an odor, so be warned.

Liver is where vitamin A is stored, so too much can cause vitamin A toxicity. I don't remember the symptoms, but you should read up so you can watch for any signs. As long as you aren't feeding as the sole meat for long periods of time it shouldn't be an issue.

In small quantities liver is an excellent source of vitamin A, so it can be good.

Hello Ladies

I do give them about once every 2/3 weeks a lambs heart and also lambs liver and also green tripe (frozen packs from PAH ) which they all had for tea last night , so any chicken liver I will give them will just be a max of 50 gramme and as an occasional food source just to give them a bit more variety.

http://nutritiondata.self.com/facts/poultry-products/667/2

Thanks all for your help and informative comments .:)

Heart is a muscle meat, rather than an organ meat (for the purposes of raw feeding anyway), you can also feed kidneys. When giving organ meat, I tend to just give a small amount with some muscle meat. If an animal was eating a whole carcass (e.g. a chicken), it would only be consuming a small portion of organ meat in one sitting.

Hi

The meat arrived in two big freezer boxes ,after I had left for work .But I am getting a bit of ear ache from Dawn for buying so much as unfortunately being a "humble" man I seem to have no conception of quantities when I order meat by weight , so I have told the boss to leave it outside in the freezer boxes it came in and I will sort it when I get in . I do so hope theres room in the girls food freezer as I can't go down the road of getting another freezer for their food then I really would gets lots of ear ache ,but I do tend to be a person who over buys as I always like to keep a large back up of everything "just in case."
So when I get in I shall weigh the venison and buffalo out into 200 gramme (meal for four ) freezer bags and just hope I have enough freezer space .

Cholesterol isn't an issue for dogs so you don't need to worry about that. liver is a very good source of nutrients and you would need to feed HUGE amounts to overdose on Vit A.

However small amounts at a time are better as it can cause diarrhoea.

Mine won't take it raw unless I finely mince it and smuggle it in with something else LOL

My only reservation with feeding unusual meats is that it doesn't leave you anything if you do need to find novel protein sources due to allergies...

Make sure you ALWAYS keep one or two things in reserve just in case - that the dog have never met, even in treats.

You shouldn't be feeing more than 50% of their meat as a single source [unless for a very good reason], variety is good :)

Brian, I now have four small freezers :yikes The dogs' stuff fills the best part of two, but I have to have large deliveries here due to delivery charges, also when I go to the wholesale butchers for chicken necks and lamb ribs, they come in large quantities :D

We also have to keep quite a bit of food in for ourselves as we discovered this winter when we couldn't actually get out for days on end due to the snow :shock:

Hello Nikki

Good job I only have a bowl of cornflakes then ,at least I can keep them in the cupboard .

Stay Warm

bri

ps

You friends have been very helpful they are sending me some stuff for Rosie and have advised other things for them .:)

Chris said you'd been in touch :D she is wonderful!!

Sorry I didn't explain it very well re the meat - as in a maximum of 50% of all the meat fed being just one protein source ie don't feed just tripe or just chicken, unless there are reasons due to allergy.

Back