View Full Version : Another update ~~~Some upsetting news =(

25th January 2011, 08:51 PM
Well I have good news and upsetting news on the Cavaliers.

After 15 days of strong antibiotics Blitz went in for his dental. All went okay with the dental itself. He had a total of 16 teeth pulled (he was already missing a couple before we went in!) He will be coming home in a few hours. I already miss the poor guy! The vet gave me an AMAZING discount. She is only charging us the original price quote to pull 5 or 6 teeth plus a cleaning. Which was already a discounted price! Total is just a little under $500 for the dental cleaning, pulling 16 teeth, lab testing & heartworm testing!
She normally charges an additional $15-$30 PER TOOTH!!! :yikes

The bad news? The vet did the lab work on him before doing the dental. He came back heartworm positive. The vet said it was a VERY strong positive because it was an instant positive on the test.:( She did say his heart sounds great for being heartworm positive and he doesn't have a murmur. (:confused: A 4 year old Cavalier, in terrible heath, with heartworms, without a murmur:confused:) I'm not sure if I'm HAPPY he doesn't have a murmur or in doubt that maybe she missed it and the heartworms are hiding it.

She seems to feel very strongly that he is treatable and has a great chance of recovery. She has me starting him on Heartworm prevenative for 2-3 months to reduce the number/strength of the heartworms. Then she wants to do a chest XRay to determine which of the 3 treatment methods would be best.

Next Holly is going in for testing. It is presumed that she has them too. They also want me to test Flash because it takes a good 7 months from infections for heartworms to show up.:(

Somewhere in the middle of this Blitz is going to be heading off to the neurologist for an MRI. I can not be MORE thankful for pet insurance. Without it none of this treatment would be possible. I'm sure the insurance company is probably doing this :swear: every time they get a fax from me.

GOOD news: I spoke with a very kind person with our insurance. Although heartworms are not typically covered because they are a preventable condition. (You have to provide proof you were giving them the preventative to get covered) The lady said "We don't penalize you for things that were out of your control before you owned the dog. As long as they were diagnosed AFTER the waiting period we are eligible for consideration for at least partial coverage due to the fact it was out of our control and we had no medical history." They need my vet to write up a report and send an estimate. Then they will send me back a break down of what they are willing to cover :biggrin: Something is better then nothing!

Back off to try to raise money. Trying to think of some way to do a local fundraiser. I'm hoping I can find some kind of pet event that will let me set up and sell hand made belly bands & walking vest. I have gotten really good with making both of them.

25th January 2011, 09:35 PM
Thank goodness he is through safely - poor wee lad, what a lot he has to deal with :(:(

Your vet was truly fantastic - also the insurance company!!!

I'm sure your vet would have picked up a murmur - actually it sounds like he has a pretty strong heart to cope with all this :D

Good luck with Holly's treatment - and let us know when you have the neuro appt for Blitz - I think that is a very sensible course of action after his episode.

Take care of yourself too x

25th January 2011, 09:49 PM
That is awful about the heartworm, but great that your vet & insurance are being so awesome!!

FYI, I know two people from other groups who have fostered heartworm positive Cavaliers. Treatment was stressful, of course, but both dogs made it though with flying colors. I'm sure it will be the same for you. :)

25th January 2011, 10:16 PM
Sounds like you have a great vet!! And what a wonderful person you are to help these dogs out the way you are doing. WTG!
I hope they both get through this ok and please let me know how blitz's scan goes.
I just phoned about getting a scan done and they said it would be $2000 to do it. Does that sound right?

25th January 2011, 11:19 PM
Poor doggies and poor you. Sending you and all your dogs big, big hugs.

25th January 2011, 11:47 PM
So sorry to hear about the heart worm, but wow how lucky you are the insurance and vet are working so well with you! These dogs are very fortunate to have you around.

26th January 2011, 01:41 PM
Sasha (my Great Pyrenees) was heart worm positive when we adopted her from the shelter. We took her home for two weeks and then brought her back to the shelter so they could complete the treatment, although they asked that she stay at the shelter to monitor her progress. She became so depressed that they called us after two days and we were able to pick her up under strict instructions.

She completely recovered and that was almost two and half years ago. I know that Blitz will make a fast recovery!

29th January 2011, 03:35 AM
Well God bless you for even taking these dogs in, not knowing their background.

I know two people who took in heartworm positive dogs, and both recovered well, and it's been several years. One they really didn't feel very positive about as the dog was already a Senior at almost nine (yes they knew because it was a owner surrendered dog probably due to the heartworm):swear:.

But what great news about the insurance company. It's nice to know that it's not just computers making these decisiions!!