• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help me please

toadey

Hello I am in such a Delmar my Tri colored Cavalier will be 1year on Feb 14th 2011,she has such a sweet personality I have such bad Asthma & Allergies,when I had my Cocker spaniel I never had any problems,I guess the fact that she was cut close every four weeks,may have made a difference.I lost yer 2 years ago due to cancer,I have been having shots and I am not getting any better,As I am a registered disabled.It is hard for me to get out and about. My husband thought having a lap dog would be good for me,I love her to bits she is a wonderful companion,but I am raking my face till it bleeds, constant coughing. I am also take nasal pumps.Damp dusting every day,but with my back so bad(I am awaiting back surgery) I just can't keep up.My problem is I do not want to take her back to the Breeder,as I feel she is just not the breeder I thought she was.How do I find and make sure I find her a new home.Charley is the love of my life totally house broken by 4mths.she has perfect manners,so devoted has so much love to give,and is great with kids, and listens well,her training has been going well. It would pain her to have an accident. she would rather hold it in than make a mess.she goes to bed every night at 9pm by her choice in her create,and you don't hear from her until 7am.How am I going to find the right person.I live in Florida.if anyone has any Ideas please help me.I am broken hearted.:(

Oh I am so sorry. Can another family member or friend take her so you can still see her sometimes?

You could ask your vet if they know anyone who dotes on their pets who might take her on?

Florida is such a huge state. Where in Florida are you? I can help.

I live in Port St Lucie. About 40mins north of West Palm Beach. & About 40 min South of Vero Beach fl. I have thought about Advertising her but how do you know who they go to.I guess I could do background checks.:blabla:

I'm really sorry to hear this what a tragic situation :(

Firstly though did you sign a contract when you purchased Charley? If you did you need to check it thoroughly as you may be obliged to return her to her breeder - at the very least to discuss it with them.

Responsible breeders would always at the very least want to know what is happening and would generally want the dog back.

However if this is not the case, then your best option is to go through breed rescue, so that you can be sure Charley will end up in a wonderful home.

I'm so sorry you're in this position. I agree with Nicki that you should check whether you are to contact Charley's breeder in a situation like this. I know there is a clause in the contract with Holly's breeder that states the breeder must be notified and the dog returned to her if we are no longer able to care for her.

If this is not the case with Charley, I strongly encourage you to contact breed rescue. I am a volunteer with the rescue Debby mentioned. I'm in Tampa, but would be more than happy to help here. I know the rescue coordinator well and can assure you that great efforts would be made to find Charley a wonderful new home. There are a team of volunteers who help with vetting, fostering, transport and adoption application review. Before a dog is placed in a new home, the potential adoptees are interviewed, have references checked and a home visit is done. I know this won't make your decision any easier, but please know that we will do all we can to help you and Charley in this situation.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you'd like to talk further. Oh, and Debby -- you know I'm here and willing to help any way I can!

Oh I am so sorry. Can another family member or friend take her so you can still see her sometimes?

You could ask your vet if they know anyone who dotes on their pets who might take her on?

I think these are great ideas. Especially if you can find someone you know who would want to take her on ... sounds like she is a great dog but you are just too allergic to her. In your situation, I'd sure look within my own personal network and see if I could rehome that way first so I could still see pictures of her, etc, and maybe see her occasionally.

But that said, if you cannot find the right home that way, I think the vet idea or rescue is a great idea. Your vet might know another Cavalier owner who may want to adopt another. I know when I had just Lucky, if my vet had called me saying another patient needed to be rehomed I'd have probably jumped on it! Plus, your vet knows who takes care of their pets because the people who don't he never sees.

If those options don't work out, then I hope you will consider rescue. I am so sorry you are in this situation. I know it must be breaking your heart. {{Hugs}}

We've "talked" privately and I know Florida rescue has been in touch. One of our procedures (not sure this is the case with all rescues) was to contact the breeder if we had the info. In one fo the cases when I got a breeder name, I called her. She was so grateful that we contacted her about the dog and was very happy to allow us to home the dog (I already had a great home lined up when I found out who the breeder was). I am hoping you will allow rescue to help you out. They really do a good job vetting homes and I know how devoted Donna, Debby and Tara are so you'll be in great hands. I'm just so sorry you are having to go through this.

I'm so sorry to hear you are having to make such a heart breaking decision. Thank goodness though for people like you, who make such an effort to ensure your little one gets the right home.

I foster little dogs for rescues here in UK and just wanted to reassure you that there are excellent rescue organisations who work very hard to get the best match of dog and home. I've had dogs here whose owners were terribly upset at having to make a decision like this, I've seen little dogs meeting new owners and settling happily into a new life. Sometimes I think the dogs cope with the change better than we do.

I hope this helps a little and wish you all the best with your decision.

Back