• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Frustrated dog!

smileyeily

Hi just wondering if anyone could help me about my male Cav, Charlie. He is 3 and half years old and not neutered. Im wondering if its too late to get him neutered. We moved into my sisters house in Sept as we are going building ourselves. When we were living in our old house Charlie used to get rather "friendly" with a certain toy, it never was a problem for us but in my sister's house, she doesnt like having toys in the house and we are lately running into problems with Charlie as he is getting quite "frustrated" and just wants to spend all his time outside in the utility room with the toy. He doesnt seem to do anything much (he tries but then gives up!!!) with the toy just cuddles it and wants to stay with it and I dont like that hes being isolated from the rest of us as we try to bring him in with us but he just wants to stay there. If I get him neutered will this solve the problem or is it too late? :confused: Thanks!

There's no issue in neutering older dogs and it generally solves humping problems, marking, straying... so as long as your vet says he is in good health a neuter is a simple operation. I neuter dogs this age and older all the time.

What you mean by 'friendly'. Do you mean he is sexually active with the toy -- like a plush toy? If he is neutered, yes this will likely stop but isn't certain and it sounds more like he simply likes the toy. I think it would be a bit mean to remove his favourite toy from him.

I guess I am not quite understanding the issue -- are you saying your sister makes him stay in the utility room because she doesn't like a dog toy in the house? If that is the case than certainly the issue is more talking with and working something out with your sister rather than the dog? How much longer will you be staying there? Why not consider a short term let somewhere as this sounds like for her it may be Charlie that is the issue, not the toy? It just sounds a bit strange to have an issue with a single toy... :confused:

On neutering -- there are benefits to neutering anyway and it may be worth discussing these with your vet regardless of the situation with the toy.

Yes thats what I mean! Its a plush toy one of those konga ones in the shape of a bear with dangly bits to it! We had said this to our vet before and he said that was not a problem that even his own dog had a favourite cushion to do his business with!! It was not a problem the first few months but even in the last week or so Charlie when he is inside with us he gets very anxious to be left out to the toy, tries to hump it gets nowhere so then ends up cuddling the toy and will not leave it!

She doesnt mind at all having the dogs in the house, its the toys she has the issue with. She has a large lab and he gets too excited in the house with the toys and they are destroyed within seconds so we keep our dogs toys away from him. We are staying there for financial reasons while we are building our own house.

We had discussed getting Charlie neutered with our vet when he was a puppy however the vet told us that once it was not causing problems then there was no need. Im just wondering is it too late to get him neutered or is it ever too late to neuter a dog.

There would be no issues getting a healthy dog of this age neutered. We adopted a chocolate lab who is 8 and we are getting her spayed soon and it is a MUCH bigger operation than a neuter. Our two boy cavs were neutered at one year old and they are much nicer dogs as a result. There are many benefits to neutering as Karlin said.

OK, that makes more sense with the lab! :)

Odd though that a vet would say not to bother neutering. For all sorts of reasons from straying to behaviour to health to the risk of unwanted litters in a country with one of the highest pound kill rates in Europe, most vets are pro-neuter.

Well I will tell you that Max had a special toy and he didn't really start humping it until well after he was neutered (he was neutered very early at 6 months so I'm not suggesting that was the cause - he was just young). Rylie's breeder told me the advice she had been given was to never give a dog a toy bigger than itself (we called this one Big Blue and it was about the same size as Max). Destructo Rylie destroyed it in no time though:p and we didn't get another. Max still sometimes humps a blanket but not too often.

They only get soft toys under supervision now because Rylie will disembowel a stuffy in seconds flat.

Odd though that a vet would say not to bother neutering. For all sorts of reasons from straying to behaviour to health to the risk of unwanted litters in a country with one of the highest pound kill rates in Europe, most vets are pro-neuter.

I was shocked that 2 separate friends with puppies (one aged 8 months and one only 4 months) were advised at different vet surgeries, at different ends of the country NOT to neuter their dogs! Is this a new approach by vets? They were told that unless any behaviour issues were present, there was "no need to neuter" :confused: I told the owners to at least get a second opinion....

I live with 4 unneutered dogs & two spayed bitches. All have the run of the house, two of the dogs sleep on our bed, my other four pets sleep outside our bedroom door. Three of the dogs have been used at stud.

I do have a dog flap and it is really rare for my dogs to lift their leg in the house.

I have only ever had one dog neutered, when he was middle aged, & that was because he had an anal tumour that was caused by male sex hormones. I felt he lost a little spark of life as well as his male parts.

I know that other people's experiences are different, but I have certainly never seen the need to neuter a dog for social reasons, and I do sometimes wonder if it is always absolutely necessary.

A responsible dog owner who is going to keep their dog safely managed around females and confined from wandering is one thing :) but I know I'd have a hard time trying to manage intact males-- they drive me crazy as fosters as they always mark all over the place -- I've never had an intact male rescue who didn't try to pee constantly inside the house, and in every case this stopped once neutered.

From my own and my trainer and rescue friends' experience I think the majority of novice dog owners find males more difficult to manage when intact and certainly the key behaviour issues that cause dogs to be handed in to pounds are almost always directly connected to being intact coupled with never having been trained or managed to decrease the intact male behaviours.... Intact males always made up at least 70% of strays in pounds when I helped out over the years -- and I must say intact males are the single biggest nuisance in my neighbourhood because they are let out or escape, are always roaming around and are always at risk of car accidents and can be very destructive if there's a female in heat around (scraping huge long gashes into a neighbour's door for example and I routinely have had to report back to a neighbour that their intact terrier was way down in distant neighbourhoods refusing to be caught because some local bitch was in heat).

Also there is the issue that show breeders in many countries require spay/neuter, so it isn't an option. And many kennels and homeboarding situations will not accept intact dogs.

So many intact dogs are stolen for breeding here too.

For all these reasons anyone working in rescue will always neuter dogs before rehoming -- it decreases the chance of numerous potential problems in the home that could cause a dog to be returned or dumped, and prevents further litters.

When Leo was a pup I was told by my vet that "There was no real need to neuter him". He is now 4 and "Intact";)

Like Margaret I dont have any trouble. He doesnt mark, he's not agressive and we're lucky he doesnt hump anything.

I guess you should just get all the info you can and then decide what you want for your dog.

The only dog that I have that humps is a female and only pillows. :lol: So yes humping can be unrelated to neutering or not neutering too. :)

My mums female, spayed lhasa apso 'humps' a lot. Our legs, my children etc etc..its really annoying :mad:

Our Holly had a festive fling with the Supervalu reindeer we had under the tree:p.
It was only a holiday romance though and it's over now...
Sins

Even though our Geordie was neutered when young, when he reached the age of sexual maturity (cannot remember what age but you might search for my post if interested), he started humping the sofa cushions. We discussed this with our vet, and he told us to 'discourage' the behavior by redirecting Geordie to do something else. I would call him off the sofa and have him sit for a moment. (But I also realized he might need a little time to himself to 'recover' from his activity if he had gone too far.)

This has worked well, and we only see the behavior once in a while.

Our vet told us that even though Geordie was neutered, he would still be attracted to female dogs in heat and could still tie with them. So you still have to keep a close eye on the boys after neutering. We've have no problems with marking.

Our Holly had a festive fling with the Supervalu reindeer we had under the tree:p.
Sins

:rotfl::rotfl::rotfl:

I think that poor Charlie is attached to his toy. Our Bob loves his rope and gets distressed if it is not in the same room with him. He is neutered and has never humped it and I think he just loves it dearly. He used to have a toy duck, but he loved it so much he chewed it's feet off and then tore the head off, that was the end of that!

:lol:

I think it is like kids with a favourite toy. And I do think it quite cruel to take a loved toy away, regardless of whether a dog is humping it. After all this is normal behaviour -- I'd not care what a dog does with a toy in the privacy of home... we require them in so many other ways to alter their natural behaviours to suit ourselves, so what's a bit of humping? The question of neutering aside, I'd just let him get (it!) on with his toy in the other room til you move into your new place then he can do as he likes anyway. If he is choosing to sit with his toy I'd just let him. :)

Holly's Supervalu reindeer

Great value Margaret!...€20 at Supervalu supermarket:p:p

Sins

Sins

ROFLOL you are mean taking it away after the holidays!!

I too think it is cruel to take away a favourite toy :( Tommy adores his pyramid and hates it when it goes in the wash - if I put toys out, it's always the one he pounces on! I made a similar one but he didn't really like that.

I usually rotate their toys, they are stored in a box and I put a few different ones out each day, rotate over about 3 days. Not really spoilt ;), we have collected quite a few over the years, and each dog always has their favourite type of toys. We have certain toys that we keep for when they are playing with us.

Back