PDA

View Full Version : Blood Tests

SophieLightyear
2nd February 2011, 06:04 PM
Benji is going to get neutered in 3 weeks and when the vets sent me through the pre-anesthetic sheet, it said there are optional blood tests that can be done at the time for an additional 30. I was just wondering if anything can be picked up by blood tests and if they'd benefit him by having them done.

Blondiemonster
2nd February 2011, 06:10 PM
Not sure why they would do a blood test with or after a neuter. Sometimes they blood tests are done before to check liver and kidney functions and see if anesthesia is safe.

Erin2854
2nd February 2011, 06:34 PM
I'm guessing that the presurgical profile? They do a blood test to make sure there's no underlying illnesses or problems going on that would make it unsafe for the dog to be but under anesthesia. I had it done with mine, i just didn't want to take any chances.

Mindysmom
2nd February 2011, 06:43 PM
It can also give a good baseline - I also have the pre bloodwork done.

Karlin
3rd February 2011, 12:25 AM
Bloods are done just to make sure the dog is safe with a particular anaesthetic etc -- it is actually very good practice to have this done and is an extra bit of advanced safety and reassurance. Some vets would always do a blood profile. If it is just 30 I'd have it done for the reasons noted above -- good to have it done before surgery and also useful to have a baseline profile at this age for his records.