• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Blood Tests

SophieLightyear

Benji is going to get neutered in 3 weeks and when the vets sent me through the pre-anesthetic sheet, it said there are optional blood tests that can be done at the time for an additional £30. I was just wondering if anything can be picked up by blood tests and if they'd benefit him by having them done.

Not sure why they would do a blood test with or after a neuter. Sometimes they blood tests are done before to check liver and kidney functions and see if anesthesia is safe.

I'm guessing that the presurgical profile? They do a blood test to make sure there's no underlying illnesses or problems going on that would make it unsafe for the dog to be but under anesthesia. I had it done with mine, i just didn't want to take any chances.

Bloods are done just to make sure the dog is safe with a particular anaesthetic etc -- it is actually very good practice to have this done and is an extra bit of advanced safety and reassurance. Some vets would always do a blood profile. If it is just £30 I'd have it done for the reasons noted above -- good to have it done before surgery and also useful to have a baseline profile at this age for his records.

Back