• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Our cavaliers have so much to thank the pedigree dogs exposed tv program for.

Bet

Thinking about this, I just wonder if we who Love the Cavalier Breed realize how much our Cherished Cavaliers are indebted to the Pedigree Dogs Exposed TV Program.

If it had not been for the PDE TV Program would the owners and Prospective Buyers of Cavaliers been made Aware of the Horrendous SM Health Problem Afflicting the Cavalier Breed to-day.

If the wee Cavalier Screaming in Pain had not been shown on the PDE Program from SM ,would the Public World Wide have known what it was like for a Cavalier to be Suffering in this way from this Terrible Disease .

We now know that CM is a Condition Chacterized by a Mismatch in Size between the Cavaliers' Brain(Too Big) and their Skull (Too Small)

That there were 85 Whelps Researched in the Foetal Research ALL had CM.

What a Debt of Gratitude we owe to Jemima Harrison and her PDE TV Program for getting the Plight of our Beloved Cavaliers from SM across to those Folk who want to buy a Cavalier.

There are now , some Cavalier Breeders trying to use Delaying Tactics and PR Generated Exercises in the Hope that the SM Cavalier Problem will Calm down and Finally be forgotten about.

Thanks to the PDE TV Program ,This Will Never Happen .

Who could ever forget seeing the Cavalier Screaming in Pain from SM on the PDE TV Program?

Bet

The entire PDE documentary was very educational for me. I had no idea how breeders and fanciers had changed the conformation of the breeds that were documented, not to mention the physical challenges some breeds now have because of that.

News blackout on the BVA/KC scheme

The entire PDE documentary was very educational for me. I had no idea how breeders and fanciers had changed the conformation of the breeds that were documented, not to mention the physical challenges some breeds now have because of that.

The Documentary had an enormous effect on the show breeding scene which continues to this day.

The revelations in that film led to three reports on welfare problems in dog breeding and the creation of a Dog Breeding Advisory Council.
Pedigree dogs and unregistered dogs bred by puppy farmers both come within the remit of the Council.

The Kennel Club is now under pressure to tackle exaggerated conformation that cause welfare problems in some dogs, and to look at the health problems that line breeding and lack of genetic diversity cause to so many breeds.

One of the most important schemes the KC has initiated to deal with the problem of inbreeding/linebreeding, and inherited health issues, is the EBV project.
Cavaliers were suppose to be one of the first breeds to benefit from this ground breaking idea, but unfortunately, despite the public support expressed by influential breeders, they did not actually supply information from the heart testing and MRI scanning they all said they were doing.

Yesterday there was a meeting about a new official BVA/KC scheme. The meeting was to look at the issue of openly publishing MRI results, something that would prevent unscrupulous people from falsely claiming to have scanned dogs and obtained good results.

It was said that those opposed to open disclosure ( why? ) were planning to derail the scheme by demanding results were not published and that the information on these breeders' dogs already within the EBV calculations was erased.

Word on the street is that these attempts were rejected by the KC, although they did make some minor concessions. The silence from those concerned with their own pocket, rather than the health of the breed, suggests the rumours are substantially true.

There was also mention of a threat to boycott the new scheme. It will be interesting to see how this can be presented as being in the interests of the dogs & the future of the breed?

It is also rumoured that we have an eager new health liaison representative. There will be many people hoping that he will lead by example, scan his young stud dogs, and start breeding to the health protocols

This is from the minutes of the January meeting of the board of directors of the American Kennel Club:

AKC BOARD OF DIRECTORS
January 10, 2011

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
New Kennel Club Policy
Mr. Menaker reported on a new policy adopted by The Kennel Club in the United Kingdom.
Individual dogs from fifteen breeds will be required to have a veterinary examination before
being awarded a challenge certificate or a championship. AKC has no plans to impose such a
policy.

This is from the minutes of the January meeting of the board of directors of the American Kennel Club:

AKC BOARD OF DIRECTORS
January 10, 2011

CHAIRMAN’S REPORT
New Kennel Club Policy
Mr. Menaker reported on a new policy adopted by The Kennel Club in the United Kingdom.
Individual dogs from fifteen breeds will be required to have a veterinary examination before
being awarded a challenge certificate or a championship. AKC has no plans to impose such a
policy.

That is what the KC would have said a few months ago.

Our cavaliers have so much to thank the pedigree dogs exposed tv program for

The Documentary had an enormous effect on the show breeding scene which continues to this day.

The revelations in that film led to three reports on welfare problems in dog breeding and the creation of a Dog Breeding Advisory Council.
Pedigree dogs and unregistered dogs bred by puppy farmers both come within the remit of the Council.

The Kennel Club is now under pressure to tackle exaggerated conformation that cause welfare problems in some dogs, and to look at the health problems that line breeding and lack of genetic diversity cause to so many breeds.

One of the most important schemes the KC has initiated to deal with the problem of inbreeding/linebreeding, and inherited health issues, is the EBV project.
Cavaliers were suppose to be one of the first breeds to benefit from this ground breaking idea, but unfortunately, despite the public support expressed by influential breeders, they did not actually supply information from the heart testing and MRI scanning they all said they were doing.

Yesterday there was a meeting about a new official BVA/KC scheme. The meeting was to look at the issue of openly publishing MRI results, something that would prevent unscrupulous people from falsely claiming to have scanned dogs and obtained good results.

It was said that those opposed to open disclosure ( why? ) were planning to derail the scheme by demanding results were not published and that the information on these breeders' dogs already within the EBV calculations was erased.

Word on the street is that these attempts were rejected by the KC, although they did make some minor concessions. The silence from those concerned with their own pocket, rather than the health of the breed, suggests the rumours are substantially true.

There was also mention of a threat to boycott the new scheme. It will be interesting to see how this can be presented as being in the interests of the dogs & the future of the breed?

It is also rumoured that we have an eager new health liaison representative. There will be many people hoping that he will lead by example, scan his young stud dogs, and start breeding to the health protocols

OUR CAVALIERS HAVE SO MUCH TO THANK THE PEDIGREE DOGS EXPOSED TV PROGRAM FOR.

Margaret your Post makes such interesting Reading about the KC/BVA MRI SCANNING Scheme Meeting held yesterday.

I am sure many Cavalier Lovers will have been Distressed to find out that there are some Cavalier Breeders determined to Hinder the Progress of the Scheme.

Could the Best Outlook for our Cavaliers now be in Combating their Health Problems of SM and MVD ,is to make use of the Internet to let Prospective Buyers of Cavaliers know of the Risks of Buying a Cavalier because of their SM and MVD Health Problems .

How Cavaliers also have a Condition called CM, Chacterized by a Mismatch in Size between the Brain(Too Big) and the Skull (Too Small).

That 50% of Cavaliers will have a Heart Murmur at 5-6 years of Age .

That the best thing a person who wants a Cavalier can do,is only buy from a Cavalier Breeder who is following the Breeding Guidelines ,that is not to Breed from a Cavalier before He or She is 2.5 years of Age, and know the Health Status of the Parents at 5,and to see the Proof that this has been done.

Bet

The airing of this program was international news and I even heard about it here in South Africa. I ordered a copy of the DVD from Jemimas web site and what a shock it was watching it.

As Waldor said:
Code:
"The entire PDE documentary was very educational for me. I had no idea how breeders and fanciers had changed the conformation of the breeds that were documented, not to mention the physical challenges some breeds now have because of that."
It was horrific .... granted not all of the changes were as painful or life threatening as with the Cavaliers, but I still had no idea! What also got to me was the Boxer with the Epileptic fits and the poor German Sheppards that could hardly walk as their back legs had become so week.

I sincerely hope that it aids in bettering the welfare of all breeds (and being biased, particularly the Cavaliers!)

Back