• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Drinking most of her water at night.... creating some issues

GraciesMom

Gracie has always been more likely to drink water after dinner, but now even more so. She's never drunk as much during the day... except that I don't know how much she drinks at doggy daycare. I am sure she must drink more there when she is super active.

But, the past week, she is really drinking more water later in the evening, between 7 and 9 pm. Not sure why... but it has created the issue of having to take her out around 4 am most nights when she was sleeping until at 6:00 am without going out.

Before bed, we are taking her out around 9:30 pm and putting her to bed at 10 pm, but not getting everything out of her system I guess.

Any thoughts on this? Is there a health or food issue we should look at?

I don't want to limit her water intake as I know we are not supposed to do that, but her drinking schedule is keeping her (and us) from sleeping through the night.

Last edited:
My first thought is diabetes, but that's probably not it. Has her food changed, or perhaps she's not getting enough water at doggy day care. Or perhaps you need to take away her water earlier in the evening? Our Shih Tzu was fed dry kibble and he drank most of his water during the night. He had a cast iron bladder, so it was never a problem for us. The dry kibble makes them thirsty. Our Cav, Sophie, is fed raw, so she rarely drinks much water.

Try to give her couple of ice cubes to nibble on early on, just after her dinner, she might like that. It will help her not feel so thirsty later in the night, before bedtime. I'd say she might not be getting enough water during the day... just a thought. At the day care, she's probably running around and being more active, etc. causing her to want more water.

Do you guys go to bed at 10pm? I don't think she would be able to hold it for more than 6 hours at that rate, so it makes sense the 4am potty emergency! She's still a pup, so you might just have to bear with it!:|

I don't know if anyone can verify this for me, but there is a ratio for a puppy's age, for every two months, when he can go without going potty for an hour- so if a puppy is 6 months old- he might need to go out every three to four hours, I think that is how it works. Good Luck, puppies are a lot of work, but they're so worth it when they become full grown happy adult doggies.:lotsaluv:

Yes Desrae, I seem to remember that's the case.

It may be that Gracie still needs a puppy pad put down for her during the night, it may make it easier on everyone.

Thanks all... will try these out

Gracie is now 9 months old and had been sleeping thru the night before easily. I love the idea of ice cubes as she has started drinking her water too fast at night anyway. BURP! BELCH! She was already checked for blood sugar and she is fine there... it is more that she has changed WHEN she is thirsty, not the amount. It may be that the food at night is making her thirstier.

Back