• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Vaccinations - neck vs. leg

Kizzys Mum

So we decided to give Kizzy her vaccinations this year and I said to the vet that we'd like them given in her leg, due to her CM. I was disappointed by his response; that there was no problem because it was sub-cutaneous :confused: Didn't really get that logic... I know I've read on here something about how vaccinations in the neck can aggravate CM - can anybody give me a link, I'd like to pass it to the vet (who is supposedly the practice's "expert" on SM!). He also said he couldn't give the vaccination into her thigh, because it is muscle and ended up giving it near her tail. Any advice, or links to articles would be great!

I have the dogs vaccinated with Leptospira once per year and full boosters every 3 years. All of these are injected into the thigh without any problems.

The first year Molly was vaccinated she developed a large lump in her neck, this was before we knew she has sm. I personally would avoid the neck area.

Thanks for the replies. We had Kizzy titer tested as wanted to avoid any unneccesary vaccinations (especially after the recent experience with Bella) and found she only needed 2 (her immunity probably isn't great as she is a puppy farm rescue). So we booked her in for the 2 she needed, only to be told they would be giving her all of them anyway because that's how it comes! It worked out very expensive and with no real benefit, grr.

Hi

In an ideal world I would like my girls to only have what and when I want but be careful it is often a condition of your insurance company IE AXA that they have all annual boosters as deemed necessary by your Vet .So if you had a big claim and hadn't let them have their boosters it might be a get out clause for them to refuse payment of your claim .

Good point Brian. I have just phoned Pet Plan. They said "providing the vet is ok with the three yearly booster" then it will be fine. If the animal become ill as a result of not vaccinating etc., then there will be a question mark as to whether they pay out or not.

As I understood it, as long as vaccinations are "up to date", it is ok. So this could mean 3 yearly, if that's what your vet agrees is ok. They will only not pay if the animal becomes sick with an illness that it could be vaccinated against.

Last edited:
As I understood it, as long as vaccinations are "up to date", it is ok. So this could mean 3 yearly, if that's what your vet agrees is ok. They will only not pay if the animal becomes sick with an illness that could it could be vaccinated against.

That is what Pet Plan said on the phone. I will ask them to put it in writing though.
All the issues I have had are related to sm/cm and joint issues. When claiming this has never been raised. However, all insurance companies work differently so I would double check.

Back