• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Churchill has been diagnoised with Syngromyelia

Karen Rawlins

I joined this forum earlier today and got some great advice. Churchill his is on prednisone every other day 5 mg. , but is doing some very odd things. He has always been so good to go to the door when he needs to go out. Now he goes in the house whenever he pleases. He is walked at least 4 times a day and is feed twice a day at 5:30 am and 5 PM. So his feeding schedule is the same as always. I don't understand if this is a side affect of the prednisone or the SM. He will get up 2 to 3 times in the night and want to go out but still continues to have accidents. Help.:(

I am sorry to hear that Churchill has SM. But at least you have found this forum and hopefully you will get whatever answers and support that you need.:flwr:
The only thing I can say to you about pred is that it can make dogs thirstier, so perhaps he is drinking lots more and his body is trying to adjust to that? Hopefully some of the others will have more advice for you.

There is a medication that dogs can take if they are sensitive to the side effects of prednisone. I'm sorry but I can't remember the name of it. Your vet should know it though. It helps to strengthen the tone of their bladder so they can hold it longer. My German Shepherd had to take it when ever she was on steroids.

But I would really get a consultation with a neurologist first to make sure that prednisone is the right medication for Churchill. You indicated in a different post that your vet was thinking about trying to wean him off the prednisone. Maybe he would do better on a more typical SM drug like gabapentin and then you might not have the incontinence problem. Poor little Churchill.

This could be a side effect of Prednisone, increased thirst and urination. How was Churchill Diagnosed with sm? has he seen a neurologist and did he have an mri. If the vet was thinking of withdrawing this drug what alternative treatment was he going
to propose. I thought Prednisone was normally given if other traditional sm drugs were not enough to help, perhaps someone else can confirm this.

Poor little Churchill, I am so sorry you have this to deal with. :(

Sending Churchill and you big big hugs

My heart goes out to you. No expertise to offer... just big hugs

Back